Chapter 15: Failsafe Part 1

You stood with the team watching the screen as heroes got destroyed one after another.

Another screen popped up.

"Tornado..." Zatara said, "Did you..."

"Yes, Zatara," Red Tornado responded, "We saw. Celestial Defenses have failed. Initiate all terrestrial measures."

"Affirmative," Zatara said, "See you in the field." The screen disappeared.

"I must join the league," Red Tornado said, turning to the team "We will protect the planet at all costs. But should we fail, the responsibility falls to you."

"We stand ready," Kaldur said.

Tornado flew out of the cave. You walked over to the screen and pulled up the news.

"This is Iris West-Allen reporting live. The extraterrestrials have brought their relentless attack to Central City." Iris said. The arch behind her got blasted and exploded. She flinched. Two large alien ships came towards the camera, destroying groups of people in their wake. Iris suddenly got zoomed away. The camera panned around, looking for her. The ships came close to the camera. Chanting was heard, and a golden sheen covered the screen, before disappearing as soon as it came.

Once it went away, Iris, Zatara, The Flash, and the cameraman were on top of a rooftop.

"You should both be safe here." Zatara said, "At least for now."

"Thank you... Flash." Iris said, "And Zatara." Both of the heroes left, and Iris watched them before turning back to the camera.

"Denny, you okay?" She asked, and the camera-man gave a thumbs-up. "As you can see, the Justice league is attempting to hold the line." The camera followed Zatara and Flash as they went to a roof-top full of people. It seemed as if they were going to be okay, but a ship showed up from seemingly nowhere and blasted the rooftop.

"No..." Iris whispered.

Dick watched out of the corner of his eye as you flinched. Wally put his hand on your shoulder.

"Icarus..." He said quietly. You shrugged him off.

"I know, I know, it's still just kind of jarring." You mumbled.

Looking back to the screen, you saw Cat Grant speaking.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we've lost Black Canary, Green Arrow, and the Hawks." She said, "Other heroes reported dead or missing include Batman, Icon, Atom, and Aquaman."

You watched as the mothership settled over Smallville. A signal came in.

"Red Tornado to cave. I fear I am all that remains of the league."

"RT!" Robin exclaimed as the signal cut off.

"We are earth's heroes now," Kaldur said.

"So what are we waiting for, a theme song?" Conner said after a moment of silence.

"A strategy," Kaldur said.

"Our weapons don't work on these baddies, and obviously a direct attack won't work." You put in.

"Checking satellite imagery..." Robin said, pulling up a map, "Here's where the aliens are."

"This one get lost?" Conner pointed to a red dot far away from the others.

"That's Superman's fortress of solitude!" Robin said.

"Superman has a fortress of solitude?!" Conner exclaimed.

"It's power source must have attracted the alien's attention." You muttered, "At least enough to send a scout ship."

"Must be some fortress," Conner grumbled and turned away.