46. Her Knight

Adele opened her eyes as she woke up in the middle of the night. Her head was on Francesco's chest. She could heart his fast heart beat. She was laying on him with her outdoor clothes on. They hadn't gotten changed by the looks of it. When O'Neil had convinced Francesco to go home, he had wordlessly come out and had come home. Since she was embracing him on the sofa when they had sat down she had fallen asleep. She didn't remember what they talked about. Maybe they hadn't. They were just holding each other sitting on a sofa next to the fire place that was burning gloriously. She always loved watching the flames. Of course. That was why they had ended up on the sofa, now she remembered. She was shaking when they had come home. Francesco had started the fire in the fire place and had made her a cup of hot tea that was left on touched on the tea table by the looks of it. She moved slightly and looked up only to see Francesco sitting down wide awake. His eyes were fixed on the fire place and its burning red hot flames. She couldn't tell what he was thinking. As she had moved, his head turned to her.

She asked "You are awake? Did you sleep at all?"

He took a deep breath and shook his head. He then silently looked away towards the flames again "Do you need anything sweetheart?"

Adele pulled away and sat up properly next to him as she reached her hand to his hair strands. She stroked his hair gently. He didn't let anyone else touch his hair. Even their children didn't dare touch his hair. From the time they were toddlers he warned the kids "only your mummy can do that" whenever they crossed that special line that only she could cross at home. There were many other things that she only could as she was special.

Adele whispered " I don't need anything. I have you next to me. I feel safe when I am with you... Do you need anything? Tell me what you need..."

Francesco sighed and glanced at his wife "Sweetheart. You know, reverse questioning is not allowed."

Adele pleaded "Please Francesco. Let me in this once. You always take my needs into account. You never tell me what you want."

Francesco replied "You and our children are all I have in this life that's worth living for sweetheart. You are all I ever dreamt about. Our children are a part of you and I would like nothing more than their happiness. You know you have given me all that I need. I needed a loving family that I never had..."

Adele shook her head "This is not what I am asking right now. Francesco. You don't tell me everything and you know it's true what I am complaining about. You know exactly what you are doing. You have always refused to share what's happening inside you. What do you need right now. Tell me. If I can't provide it then I pray for it for you..."

Francesco closed his eyes and then rested his head against the sofa "You want me to pour my heart out? I don't need a doctor Adele. I don't need to be cured."

Adele said "Francesco I am no longer trying to convince you to get treatment for suffering trauma. I know you no longer see nightmares as often but at times you do. You still talk in your sleep sometimes... You still change your expression when you see and touch certain things that remind you of the past... Please talk to me. I want to know as your wife and not as a therapist... I want to know what you feel and what you need. Tell me."

Francesco opened his eyes and looked at the ceiling. Remained silent.

Adele leaned into him and put her head on his shoulder as she stared into the fire place "Francesco, you are suffering. I hate this. I can't do anything to help ease your suffering if I don't know what's happening inside you..."

Francesco asked "What has brought this detective side out? Is it O'Neil? Is that it? He put you up to this?"

Adele said "He did talk to me but that's not what has brought this on... Today when you walked out of that building ... I saw .... I saw ..." She bit her lip.