48. Truth

Vincenzo was staring into the distance as he was walking outside. He liked to breathe in the air in New York making him feel at home. This was his home. He had missed it. But for how much longer could there be peace. He had put his father in front of his father. That was what is was. He was the reason for conflict. He wanted to resolve it all but he wasn't sure if he could. It was not straightforward. As he was walking he saw one of his father's men approaching "Sir, your father wishes to see you... in his office."

He gave the man a nod and walked away. Finally his father had acknowledged his presence. He had excluded him from every decision since he had ambushed his grandpas lair. It could be his only chance to have any influence. If his father wanted him to stay out of this matter, his father was going to make sure he had no part in it. His father was extraordinary precise and had a high degree of certainty about what he wanted and how he wanted it.

He reached his father's office and knocked before he let himself in. His father expected him so there was no need to wait. As he entered he watched his father making fire in the fire place. He was watching the flames as he was putting wood inside. His father liked traditional ways to get warm at times.

He whispered "Good morning father

Francesco didn't look back. "Good morning son. Did you sleep well?"

Vincenzo asked "Is that relevant?"

Francesco turned and walked towards his desk "Of course." He then poured himself some vodka in a glass "You wish to grow up fast. You want to be the adult. You are not there yet. You are just a kid to me but one without curfew." He then took a sip from his vodka.

Vincenzo slowly approached his father's desk "Father. Did you ask me to come see you to discuss how well I slept?"

Francesco put his glass down soundly "Why? You have somewhere to be? Do you? You need to leave?"

Vincenzo said "No. It's just that I have been waiting all night for you to want to talk to me and discuss ... what happened yesterday."

Francesco walked to the front of his desk and leaned to the table with his hands on his side grabbing the edge "What happened yesterday? Let's think. You defied me. That is what's happened. I gave you advice that you chose not to follow. You are a teenager. This should be normal. You are testing how much you can get away with. That's how I should see it. But I don't. This is not you. You ignored my advice and listened to ... someone else. Now I want to find out why. That is not you. The son I raised won't ignore what I tell him. You could discuss it with me. I told you to leave Jackson. You can't take him on without a proper structure to your planning. If you take on Jackson you must have Plan A, Plan B .... all the way to Plan Z or you will lose ..."

Vincenzo interrupted "Father. But I am certain I wasn't going to lose. I just want the safety of this family. He is a threat."

Francesco said "Every soul out there is a threat. You can't kill them all. Attacking Jackson could work. You could kill him but not without some retaliation. My definition of losing is different to yours. Jackson has lost so much already. He lost my cousin to Arturo. He blames me. If Jackson wishes to kill anyone, it's me. He won't come after my family when I am who he wants. He has a hit list. Arturo and I are on top of it. He won't be a threat to this family unless we are weakened. And what you did yesterday did not strengthen this family. Did it son?"

Vincenzo shook his head and admitted "No I didn't help. I am sorry."

Francesco raised an eyebrow "That shows maturity. To admit when you make a mistake ... to your father. Next time if you come to me and ask me for advice, don't ignore it. You attempted to abduct Jackson's family when you should have ordered a hit on him with less damage..."