27. Christmas Eve 1979 (Part 2)

Francesco was sitting opposite Adele looking at the drinks menu in the private suit of  a luxurious bar restaurant while Adele was looking at her shopping bags "Francesco... I don't think I have ever shopped this much for Christmas."

Francesco kept looking at the menu "There is a first time for everything sweetheart."

Adele put her hand under her chin and leaned to the table as she watched Francesco "Other husbands complain on shopping trips. You never do."

Francesco replied in a bored tone "It's because those husbands don't know what they have right in front of them."

Adele asked "Tell me Francesco what is in front of you when you shop with me? All you see is ladies clothes."

Francesco glanced up "Sweetheart I only see you trying to buy the most plain clothes and I have to stop you. That's what I see."

Adele said "That's not totally true."

Francesco said "Of course. Because I see much more too."

Adele asked "What else do you see?"

Francesco stated simply as he glanced back at the drinks menu "I see my wife and the mother of my children. I see a woman who is the reason I have a home I want to return to every day. Sweetheart. You know how much you mean to me."

Adele said "If I mean so much to you then why don't you listen to me when I say we should go home right now? We have guests dropping by for Christmas Eve."

Francesco glanced up at Adele "Sweetheart. You are my woman and I do respect your wishes but I don't always grant them. You should be used to this by now." He then glanced back at the menu "I think I am ready to order." He then called the barman "A glass of the house wine for me and a glass of champagne for my wife." The waiter quickly nodded and walked away.

Adele sighed "Francesco, I said I want to go home. It's Christmas Eve. I want to get Home to prepare dinner for our guests and to get the kids ready for tonight's mass at the church."

Francesco put the menu away "Then maybe you need some energy. Shall I order some olives and cheese with bread perhaps? How about that?" As he was about to put his hand up, Adele stopped him by putting her hand on his "I am not hungry."

Francesco didn't reply. He put his other hand up and ordered more food.

Adele gave up and sat back. She never won arguments against him unless he wishes to change his mind. Francesco did make choices for but he let her choose of course too. Although, if she did not make a choice that was to his liking he dismissed it or made sure he showed his displeasure and complained non stop until Adele went with his choices. Francesco was persuasive.

When the waiter came back he brought vodka on ice with champagne on ice. He also brought so much more food with variety. Francesco said "This is not what I ordered."

The waiter stuttered "Sir. My boss demanded that I deliver these drinks."

Francesco said "I would like to have a word with your boss."

The waiter nodded and walked away. He then called all other waiters and guards out. Seconds later Francesco watched Sergei Santiago walk in with a smile. He was not surprised. Sergei loved surprises and if he was in town he appeared. Francesco knew he owned this place but he didn't think he would show up.

As Sergei reached the table he nodded at Francesco and then leaned down on the table with one hand and stared at Adele "Hello. Nice to see you Adele."

Adele couldn't believe sergei. He had interrupted them and Francesco hadn't reacted. Normally he was hostile to intruders. But sergei was an exception.