31. The Young Don (Part 1)

Weeks Later

Vincenzo was sitting in his office drinking soda as he was looking at his cousin Vitale playing the piano. His cousin was good at playing Sicilian tunes that needed the violin.

Vitale could feel his cousin's heavy and silent stare on him. Vitale glanced up from time to time. He wanted to know if he was bothering Vincenzo at all in anyway. His cousin was a perfectionist in every way. He didn't want to be the one to ruin his mood. Vincenzo had been quite harsh and on the edge in the last few days. The last thing he wanted was to add to the tension in the air. Vincenzo didn't spend his personal time with anyone but Vitale. His cousin only preferred his company out of business hours. Vitale didn't take this trust and respect for granted. He tried to push the buttons at times to see if Vincenzo minded bending his rules and spend some personal time with other members of the Sicilian Rosario family but he did not do so. Vincenzo had simply declared only if Terza came he was going to feel like it was reason enough to have meals with his Sicilian family.

Vitale looked at the clock and finally stopped playing. Vincenzo frowned and asked "Why did you stop?"

Vitale stood up "I think I should go. I would like to help my father. We have guests coming over. I would like to assist him with the preparations."

Vincenzo walked towards him "Nonsense. He doesn't need your assistance Vitale."

Vitale said "But there is not much I can do here either Vincenzo. You are the one who makes the decisions. I am here to help but you don't wish me to interfere."

Vincenzo walked to Vitale and smiled as he stopped in front of his cousin. He put his hand on his shoulder and noticed that Vitale cringed slightly. Vincenzo sighed "I wasn't going to hit you Vitale. There is no need to cringe. I only hit my own men when they deserve it like how those guys did. They learnt they lesson. So I let them live."

Vitale nodded "I understand." No one dared breathe in front of Vincenzo normally but after today's episode no one even dared make eye contact. Vincenzo was unpredictable and had strict expectations.

Vincenzo said "Then why are you cringing? Listen Vitale. You leave this responsibility to me. I don't wish anyone else to be involved. I need to make sure that all the words come from me."

Vitale said " Of course. But you need to let me help ...."

Vincenzo said "You can help. I told you what you need to do for now."

Vitale said "Controlling Letizia is not a big task."

Vincenzo patted his cousin "Oh but it's an important task. We are already on a brink of war. I don't need her adding more wood to the fire that's already burning. I kept her safe for you but I can't guarantee I will not harm her if she breaks the rules especially when we are in a situation like this. I let you go now. But I might summon you again... sooner than you think ... So don't get too comfortable. Don't question me and expect to be called upon for duty at all times. I dismiss you if you want to. You may go."

Vitale nodded and said "Thank you. Good night." He then slightly bowed his head and walked away. He wished Vincenzo was not going to be too business like to this extent but Vincenzo had a job he to do and had no time for socialising or building bridges. He meant business. Vitale was the only Rosario he acknowledged and allowed into his personal time. He kept away and just kept his relations strictly business and formal. Even mama Adriana's invitations as the old don's wife didn't work on Vincenzo. He kept his distance. He demanded respect. He ordered his men around and he got the work done swiftly and perfectly. The business was booming and contracts were coming from the harbours. But of course there were issues that had taken place outside Sicily that Vincenzo had to deal with. Big meetings were coming up in coming days that only Vincenzo could manage.