Chapter 45 - Marry You

"It's always lovely to see you two here. [Name], Sasuke."

"It's always nice to stop by. Please tell me you have a room available."

You leaned over the front desk of Mari's inn as you and Sasuke arrived later that evening, hoping that the woman would have something for you. With a knowing smile on her lips, she nodded and handed you a key.

"Room seven," she winked. As you rummaged through your backpack to pay for your overnight stay, Sasuke snatched up the key and began making his way towards the room without you.

"Thanks, Mari!"

You quickly followed the Uchiha down the hallway as he reached your room, stepping in after him.

"Why are you in a hurry?" you sighed, dropping your backpack on the ground as you shut the door behind yourself. "You didn't even say hi to her."

"Eh." Rolling your eyes as Sasuke dumped his own belongings on the ground, you trudged towards the bed and threw yourself on with a loud, prolonged groan.

"I have a month of being single!" you cried out, burying your face in the pillow as you wallowed in disbelief. "Nooooo!"

"What's wrong with getting married to me?" scoffed Sasuke as he began taking off his shirt, shooting you an offended look. You groaned in response, shaking your head.

"That's not the point!" you whined, kicking your legs as you fake sobbed into the bedding. "I'm so young! Why are we getting married so quickly?! Why did I say a month?!"

"We kind of had no choice. But then again, you were the one who told Yuki we'd get married next month. So that's on your head."

"Think about all the boys I haven't met yet," you lamented, turning over on your back and covering your eyes with one arm as you ignored the Uchiha's words. "All of them!"

"The more you talk about this, the less certain I am that you want to marry me."

Upon hearing the warning in Sasuke's voice, you sighed and sat up straight.

"Sorry," you muttered, scratching the back of your head. "Yuki just... ugh."

"We don't have to pay for our own wedding. Doesn't that sound great to you?"

"It does."

As you glanced over to smile at the Uchiha, you immediately retracted your gaze upon seeing his bare torso, and instead opted to throw yourself back down face first on the bed.

"Go and shower," you said in a muffled voice, still trying to stabilise your mind. "We can talk tonight."

"Alright."

The raven disappeared into the bathroom, and emerged ten minutes later to swap with you. As soon as you were dried and dressed, you returned to the room and jumped back into bed, while Sasuke sat at the foot of the bed repacking both of your backpacks.

"What are you doing?"

You crawled to the end of the bed in curiosity as you peered over and saw the Uchiha neatly folding up his dirty laundry as small as possible to stuff back into his backpack.

"Give me a second."

You watched in amazement as Sasuke got up and walked into the bathroom, walking out with your dirty laundry in his arms.

"Sa-Sasuke!" you exclaimed indignantly, hoping against hope that your undergarments that you'd rolled up in your sweaty shirt wouldn't make an appearance. Paying no heed to your protests, Sasuke continued to roll up your laundry before stuffing it into your backpack, zipping it shut once he had finished.

"Glad that that's done with." As you continued gawping at his odd behaviour, Sasuke got back up and headed towards the light switch, adding, "Do you still need this?"

"Uh, no, I guess..."

The room was plunged into darkness, and soon, he had rejoined you on the bed.

"... today was a really long day."

You let out a sigh as you lay shoulder to shoulder with the Uchiha, staring up at the ceiling as you both made yourselves comfortable under the sheets.

"Can you believe that we have a wedding to plan?" you guffawed, smiling at how absurd the thought sounded. "I swear we are the last people on earth anyone would have expected to tie the knot so quickly. Time flies so quickly. It feels just like yesterday you left the village, other shit happened, we were fighting reincarnated shinobi and some lady from the moon, and... ugh, literally everything else. And now we're getting married. Thanks a lot, Yuki. As if our lives weren't dramatic enough as it was."

Even though you couldn't see him, you turned on your side to face Sasuke anyway with a glum expression on your face.

"I'm sorry," you apologised sheepishly, not knowing what else to say regarding his silence. "I'm sure all you wanted after all this chaos was... you know, time to relax. Not... this. Getting married to someone just because some crazy rich lady couldn't take no for an answer."

"Considering all the other alternatives, planning a wedding seems pretty tame, don't you think?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"... stop worrying about it. I'm not worried about this, and you shouldn't be either."

"It's not the wedding I'm worried about," you sighed, feeling the bed shift as Sasuke turned to face you. "Are we like... meant to move in together?"

"If anyone's moving, it's you. Your apartment has no space for the two of us."

"Huh, and your house is any better?!"

"... living in a house, versus living in an apartment. What do you think, genius?"

"Oh Sasuke, always with the patronising tone." You poked your tongue out at Sasuke. "Fine. Wedding, and then, what? I move in with you?"

"Yes."

"I haven't lived with someone else for a long time," you said softly, absentmindedly reaching out and tracing lines on the Uchiha's shoulder. "This should be interesting."

"Hmph. Naruto's over at your place so much he might as well live with you."

"Are you still going on about that?"

"..."

"Sasuke, are you still jealous?"

"I don't know what you're talking about. But, that being said, your sleepovers are going to be limited once you move in with me."

"I thought I was getting married, not moving into a convent!"

"... well, considering you're not going to be celibate for long, it's definitely not a convent."

"You're right. But we can't say the same about you, can we?"

"Oh dear. The threat of you committing adulterous activities behind my back frightens me."

"Watch out, Sasuke. I might start inviting the other guys over for sleepovers as well."

"I guess I'll have fun letting Sakura know what you're getting up to then, huh?"

"... you win."

You scowled as you sensed the Uchiha smirking in front of you, your scowl only deepening as he reached out and poked you in the cheek.

"I know," he said softly. And, as if it weren't the cheesiest line ever, he added, "Because I get to marry you."

"Go to sleep," you gagged, face going red at his sudden words of affection. "Go to sleep!"