Chapter 39 - Sidetracked

"Rise and shine, let's go."

Much to his surprise, when Sasuke was woken by you the next morning, he was rather stunned by it. Considering it was, well, you of all people, the fact that you had already gotten up and ready was quite interesting for him.

"Here, have an apple." As you stood with your backpack on, you tossed an apple towards the Uchiha, which landed in the space you had vacated on the bed.

"Hn."

You headed towards the door and exited the room, making your way to the reception area to pay for your stay. You were greeted by Mari at the desk, who peered at you curiously through her spectacles.

"Good morning, [Name]. How was your stay?"

"Great, thanks. How much do I owe you?"

With little to say, you handed Mari over her money without any questions, keeping your eye open for any sign of Sasuke coming down the hallway.

"Now, if you don't mind my asking, but are you and that lovely man together?" asked Mari, shuffling the notes you had given her and putting them into the till before her. You snorted and crossed your arms.

"Yeah, that's my fiance," you said casually, shrugging as if it were no big deal. Mari began to nod in understanding, humming to herself as she shut her till.

"Ahh, of course," she said thoughtfully. "He's such a fine young man, and you yourself are a fine young woman! Have you made any plans for your wedding?"

"We're, ah, actually quite busy with our careers at the moment, so we're holding off any wedding talk for the time being," you said smoothly, the lie rolling off the tip of your tongue as if it were nothing.

But was it really a lie?

"My, I guess every generation really does change, right?" laughed Mari, covering her mouth as she did so. "Things were much different when I was your age."

"Really? How so?"

"There was no waiting," she chortled, leaning back in her seat. "When a couple said they were getting married, they would do it almost instantly. I take it you and Sasuke won't be getting hitched for a while now, hm?"

"I doubt it," you said reassuringly. "We're just waiting for a time when our lives aren't so all over the place."

"Good call," nodded Mari encouragingly, glancing to her side. "Oh! Good morning, Sasuke. How was your night?"

"Good, thank you. [Name], have you paid already?"

The Uchiha approached you with his apple in hand, already halfway done with it.

"Yeah. We can go now."

"I'll pay you back. Thanks again, Mari."

You turned and waved at Mari over your shoulder as you followed Sasuke out of the inn, saying your goodbyes before you stepped outside.

"How much was it this time?" asked the Uchiha as you continued walking, strolling through the town Mari's inn was located on the edge of.

"Enough," you shrugged, holding onto the straps of your backpack. "It's okay, I got it."

"Will you at least let me pay for half?"

"Really, Sasuke. It's fine."

As the two of you continued walking through the still sleepy town, your attention was caught by the sound of a door opening and closing.

"Hmm?"

Looking around, you located the origin of the sound, and were rather surprised by what you saw.