Chapter 15 - Riding

"[Name], this is insane," whispered Sasuke under his breath as you strapped on your riding gear.

"Well, what else am I supposed to do, smartass?" you hissed back, pulling on your riding boots. You had been summoned by the prince to go horseback riding with him, which was quite a surprise to you. You had absolutely no idea how to ride one, and yet, it was something that Princess Yuki was said to have specialised in. And it was something that Sasuke had so carefully missed out on. "It's not my fault you didn't prepare me for this."

"Keep your voice down!" exclaimed Sasuke in a low voice, glancing furtively around the bedroom. Earlier that morning, after being served breakfast in the royal dining room, servants had escorted you and Sasuke back to your room, arms full of all the gear you'd need to wear in place of your usual fanciful princess outfits.

"Relax. I'll be fine."

***

"... you look stunning, if I do say so myself, my princess," said Akihiro gracefully, bending down and grasping your hand in his own, before placing his lips on it. You flushed and little, and nodded at him.

"You look rather dashing yourself," you complimented back as the prince straightened up. He grinned and held out an arm to you.

"Shall we go then, my lady?"

"Hold up." Internal you was screaming at Sasuke for ruining your- er, Yuki's- chances with Akihiro. Thinking about it now, Sasuke was being more of a third wheel then he was a guardian. Said Uchiha stepped forward in between you and Akihiro's interlocked arms, grimacing.

"I can't let the princess ride alone," he said gruffly, making you groan and roll your eyes. Akihiro chuckled, impatience visible in his eyes.

"You may ride alongside us, if you wish, Sasuke," he said in a polite voice, completely opposite of the steely look his eyes were shooting at Sasuke. The Uchiha narrowed his eyes in return, until you broke him off by squealing, "Yes! Sasuke, you can ride behind us, while I ride ahead with Akihiro! Okay? Okay!"

"NO-!"

"If you wish, princess," said Akihiro courteously. He looked at Sasuke over his shoulder as he walked away with you, smirking. Sasuke felt his anger leap up more than a few notches.

You pompous little... Without the ability to argue, Sasuke merely sighed as the three of you mounted your steeds and began trotting away. It irked him to see you in front of him, riding the horse as if you were a natural, and flirting with Akihiro as if he were meant to be your fiance.

Ugh, thought Sasuke grimly to himself as he lazily leaned forward in his saddle, uncaring of his surroundings. This sucks.

"... shall we?"

"You're on!" Sasuke blinked at the new fervour between you and the prince; and he was very confused. It was only when you both called out, "GO!" that he sweatdropped.

Oh no.

"[N]- princess!" he exclaimed frantically. You and Akihiro had, unwittingly to Sasuke, agreed on a race around the course, and now, he was about to suffer the consequences for not keeping an eye on you and your impulsiveness.

YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO RIDE A HORSE YOU IMPOTENT LITTLE-

It was not long after that that Sasuke watched as you were thrown from your mare, unable to control or slow her down as she readily picked up speed. Every fiber in his body willed to call out your name, but he couldn't, mainly because you were Yuki and not [Name]-

"PRINCESS!" Your foot caught in the stirrup as you rolled sideways from the saddle, and all you could feel was the hardness of the ground as your back and head came into contact with it, temporarily knocking you out.

"YUKI!" screamed Sasuke as you were dragged through the short cut grass, half conscious.

"Ahaha... ahh..." you mumbled to yourself, unable to move. "Ah... fuck..."

With that, you lost consciousness altogether.