The pendant- Or, beware of dragons bearing gifts

Chihiro met Rin in practice hall three

"Well nice you could join me," said the spirit sarcastically. She looked a little pale and she had dark circles under her eyes. Chihiro recognised a hangover when she saw one.

"You're not going to go easy on me just because you puked all night are you?"

"Who told you that?" She growled.

"No one, I was sick a little myself, so you must have been really ill."

Rin grimaced "I was a bit" she mumbled. "But now I'm better and a hard work out is just what we both need." Then the woman grinned. "What did Haku do to you?"

"Put me to bed," said Chihiro evasively.

"Did he leave you there alone or did he..."

"RIN!" Snapped Chihiro sharply. The spirit woman laughed.

"Its okay Sen I'm not really that interested, I'm not like Linca. I accept that you may want to have secrets." Chihiro grunted and picked up a staff.

After an hour of being made a complete fool of and falling on her bottom at least twice (when she dropped her guard and received a friendly smack in the shins.) Rin called a halt.

"Let's take a breather." Chihiro slumped to the floor and took the offered bottle of water.

"I'm never going to get the hang of this." She gasped. Rin squatted beside her; she was perspiring but seemed otherwise unaffected. She took the water back from Chihiro before she drank too much of it.

"You're not that bad, it takes a long time before you make any headway in something as skilful as this. I'm not trying to insult you but you are not a natural at this, it will take time and humiliation." Chihiro pulled a face at her. Subconsciously her fingers brushed her pendant, as they always seemed to do when she needed reassurance.

"Chihiro?"

"Mm?"

"Where did you get that pendant?" Rin's brow was creased and her hands were clenched tight. Chihiro looked down and saw that the obsidian mirror with the silver dragon twisted around it was resting on top of her tunic. It had slipped out during her lesson. She tucked it back under her clothes, she did not know why but she did not like other people seeing it. Rin watched her and her features tensed.

"Did Haku give that to you?" Chihiro nodded frowning herself now, Rin's deep brown eyes were full of repressed emotion.

"What is bothering her so much?" She wondered.

"Err... what did he tell you it was?"

"A talisman, to keep me safe." Rin nearly snapped her staff she gripped it so tightly.

"That's not what it is! It's..." She clamped her mouth shut looking embarrassed at her outburst.

"What?" Asked Chihiro starting to worry.