A Trust Betrayed

A/N- a word of warning. I am aware that mental health services do not work like this and are indeed responsible for improving and saving lives. I wrote this when I was much younger and the more "Victorian" ideal fit the plot far better. 

If you need help never be afraid to get it. Mental illness can be just as debilitating as physical illness and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. 

That said I hope you enjoy the next few chapters but please treat them as pure escapism.  

In the morning she woke got dressed and set about packing her things

In the morning she woke got dressed and set about packing her things. Her father eyed the holdall when she brought it downstairs at breakfast, but did not say anything. Her mother seemed extremely agitated and nervous. Chattering away to her and avoiding any mention of her delusions. Chihiro could not blame her. 

She raided the kitchen for all the goodies that her friends would like. She took 4 boxes of coffee and three tins of chocolate pudding. She could not find any vodka; she would have to buy some before she left that afternoon. She was tempted to bring her parents along so they could see her disappear through the barrier that they refused to admit existed.

However, she thought better of it, they were scared enough already. By lunch, Chihiro was fully packed and her father himself had taken her to the next town and back to buy vodka. She also picked up twenty slabs of chocolate so she could make pudding for everyone else to. (Though she knew she would end up eating it.) She also bought another box of coffee. Her father said nothing about her odd purchases.

Chihiro was watching TV and having a last catch up on world affairs when there was a knock at the door. Her mother jumped.

"That will be them," said her father. He opened the door and a woman in her forties entered, followed by two large men in strange uniforms.

"Mistress Ogino," said the Woman and bowed politely. Chihiro stood and returned the bow, puzzled. The woman smiled. "Your father tells us that you are planning a trip." Chihiro glanced at her father.

"And you are?" she asked a little rudely.

"I'm Doctor Tanaka." Chihiro felt cold. "We would like you to come to the hospital for a few days; just to check you out." Chihiro gasped.

"You want to throw me in the loony bin?"

"A vulgar term." said the doctor, "but we would like to take you in for an assessment."

Chihiro folded her arms.

"What if I don't want to go?" She said.

"I'm afraid you have no choice in this matter, Miss Ogino. The committal papers have already been signed by your next of kin." Chihiro stared at her parents. Her mother dropped her eyes; her father gave a weak smile.

"It's for the best. You are not well."

"I'm not mad!" she hissed to the room at large. "It's all real and I'm going home."