Lessons in Love

The next day Chihiro was reading in her sitting room when Linca burst in

"What are you doing here? You are late!"

"No, I'm not!" Protested Chihiro, "I've still got an hour till my lesson."

"Then why are Haku and Rin waiting for you in hall three?" Chihiro put down her book.

"Okay, I'll go, but he told me after lunch." 

She wandered down the corridors and only had to ask for directions once. The door to the hall was shut; she thought nothing of this, just opened it and walked in. She stopped dead in her tracks.

There were red teak pillars surrounding the highly ornate room. She hid behind the nearest one on her left. It was an intrusion, she knew it was, but somehow she could not help but watch. Haku was practising. The sword he was using was a strange matt grey colour. It seemed to absorb the light rather than reflect it. It whirled around him as he tried different guard positions and practised footwork.

Chihiro knew nothing about fencing and swordplay but what he was doing looked good to her. In truth, it was not the expert demonstration that fascinated her. She was ashamed of herself but she was watching his body.

He had taken his tunic and shirt off and he was sweating. His greenish hair was slick with it and strands stuck to his face. His torso was lean but muscled, his shoulders were broad. His skin was the same pale colour as his face; it was disturbing in its perfection, not a scar or blemish anywhere. Lithe was the word that popped into her head.

She was so absorbed in her spying that she did not notice the slight smile cross his face or the knowing look in his eyes. All of a sudden he whipped around towards her and in a movement too quick for her to see the sword flew at her and embedded itself in the pillar she hid behind. She squeaked and jumped into the open.

"You're early," he hissed, He was still breathing hard, green eyes narrowed at her.

"Linca told me you were waiting for me." She blurted out; her voice was high and unsteady. She was going to kill that sprite.

"Calm down," she told herself. "Get back in control of yourself. Anybody would think you had never seen a bare chest before, no matter how masculine...and muscled this one is...NO STOP IT!" she straightened up and folded her arms.

"I'm sorry I spied, but I did not wish to disturb you." She arched her eyebrows "I trust I get to keep my clothes on when I practice."

He laughed good-naturedly.

"I don't know, maybe it would aid your fencing, besides I want a turn to stare." Chihiro blushed lightly.

"Sorry about that." She mumbled and tried not to show how embarrassed she was, "But staring is a ladies prerogative." Haku grinned and threw a wooden staff at her which she caught.