A Midsummer's Night

They moved out onto the balcony and sat together on a stone bench with a modest distance between them

They moved out onto the balcony and sat together on a stone bench with a modest distance between them. Chihiro looked at the sky; she recognised none of the constellations.

"This sky must look very alien to you," said Haku gently.

"I can learn to appreciate it I'm sure."

She smiled at him.

"Will you miss your world do you think?" He was looking at her earnestly.

"I will a little," She mumbled looking at the ground. "But ever since I came here I've always thought of it as the human world, not my world."

"Do you really hate your race that much?" She was startled by the question and then realised he did not truly understand her reasons for staying.

"I don't hate my own race." She was trying to be serious but could not help smiling. "True as a race we pollute our world, kill ourselves in the millions and create devastation wherever we go." Haku nodded his face still serious, not picking up on her sarcasm.

"That would be the view of most here, but you are nothing like that." 

"No I'm not and neither are millions of other people. Believe me, I could easily hate everyone in the human world for what they have done to you or what they did to Linca. That alone would be reason enough to leave everyone behind." She was solemn now the humour she had found in the conversation had vanished. "The truth is we are ignorant as a species. We harm you and your world without even knowing it." There was silence for a moment. Haku could tell Chihiro was brooding on the subject and feeling in some way ashamed of the mistakes of an entire people. Her pretty face was stern and her brown eyes were far away.

"Spirits are not blameless either." He said suddenly. "Ever since humans appeared some of us have killed and tortured you on a regular basis, just for fun." Chihiro shook her head.

"I don't believe that." Haku raised one eyebrow.

"Ever heard of the Bermuda triangle?" Chihiro's eyes widened. "There is a water spirit there who has a liking for human flesh." Chihiro frowned and was quiet for a moment, and then she said...

"So we are about as bad as each other."

Haku nodded.

"Yes we are, but since meeting you I now have more hope in the future of the human race than I did." Chihiro blushed lightly.

"You'll make me big-headed," she mumbled.

They were quiet again. Chihiro listened to the crickets and the other strange night sounds she did not yet recognise. It was a gorgeously balmy summer night; she felt like she was breathing in the scent of a thousand different flowers, their musk was making her sleepy. She dabbed at her brow. She was perspiring slightly in the silk dress.

"Why do you want to stay?" Haku blurted out the question in such a way she guessed he had not really meant to ask it. She looked up at him and smiled gently.