Compassion and Morality

Chihiro awoke to find him gone

Chihiro awoke to find him gone. She stretched and sighed, she was still tired, but her arm felt better. Meeka came in and placed a tray of food on a table next to the bed. She busied herself about the room; laid clothes out on the bed, opened drapes and turned on the lights.

"You will get up today, my master wishes to take you out." The spirit woman glared at her. Chihiro did not know what she was supposed to have done.

"Thank you Meeka." Was all she said, the cat woman turned on her. 

"Don't you know it's not right? It goes against all natural and magical law! A human and a spirit, it's disgusting!" She approached the bed and lowered her voice. "If you have any respect for my master you would leave now. Remain and his reputation will be severely tarnished." Chihiro was having a little trouble taking all this in, her brain was still sleepy.

"What are you talking about?" she half grumbled.

"You and him!" Snapped the spirit. "You spent the night together."

"And?" Chihiro folded her arms, "I fail to see the problem here."

"Whoring about may be common among humans, but we immortals have more respect for each other. We deny our baser instincts."

Chihiro threw back her head and laughed in Meeka's face.

"There must be very few spirit children then Meeka." She gasped between giggles. Linca was proof enough that Meeka was talking nonsense. She could have told the woman the truth about last night, but she felt no need to justify herself to the unpleasant spirit. The problem was Meeka would obviously never like Chihiro, and Chihiro was fed up with being judged by her races misdeeds. Oh, the spirit would take care of her for Haku's sake but did not like it. Chihiro was in the mood for an argument.

Meeka approached the bed and extended some wicked looking claws.

"You should consider your words more carefully human. I would hate for that pretty face to get scratched." The spirit's eyes narrowed to the barest slits of yellow. Chihiro sensed the danger but chose to ignore it; she was angry and wanted to provoke the cat.

"Go ahead Meeka" She drawled. "We are all scum; take your petty little revenge out on me. I did not cut down your trees, but I'm beginning wish I had!" Meeka hissed and the claws headed for Chihiro's face. She felt herself move almost automatically. Her hand snatched the spirits paw and bent it painfully back on itself, threatening to snap the wrist. Meeka was forced onto her toes and mewed piteously. Chihiro had not even moved from the bed.

"Don't underestimate me cat! I may be human but I can defend myself. Your anger at me is unreasonable and your hate it is blinding you." Meeka looked into the human's brown eyes and was frightened by what she saw. There was a kind of "make my day" belligerence coupled with a raw power she could not identify in their depths. This human was dangerous.

"Chihiro," Said a calm voice. "Put Meeka down please." Chihiro let go of the spirits paw and the cat ran to Haku who was standing in the doorway, dripping wet. Meeka clutched at his sleeve and gazed at him imploringly.