Home is Where the Heart is

Chihiro had to make a real effort to open her eyes

Chihiro had to make a real effort to open her eyes. When she did the whole world seemed to be spinning around her. She was disorientated and she did not recognise her surroundings. Finally, she focused. She was in a large room with large windows opposite the bed she was lying on. Black drapes covered them. The bed was big and she was lying right in the middle of it, on soft downy pillows with a white feather down cover over her. She looked down at herself and shifted her body. She was very naked underneath these covers! She let her eyes rove the room only to realise she had missed the rooms other occupant. Linca was sat on a chair by the bed. She was slumped over; her hands and face resting on the bed. At least she thought it was Linca, her hair was such a pale blond that it was almost pure white, like fresh snow. Her skin was also pale and slightly bluish, she almost looked dead. Chihiro shifted herself with difficulty to a sitting position, tucking the cover around herself. She put her hand on Lincas head and the woman stirred. 

(Art credit- Daishar) 

"Linca!" she hissed.

"Ummm," Linca tried to nuzzle into the cover. Chihiro grinned.

"Linca, its double pure maths at nine!" Chihiro whispered in her ear, Linca sat bolt upright and then looked around her.

"I'm awake!" She rubbed her eyes. "How late am I? Do I have time to..." She looked at Chihiro. "That was a nasty trick to play on someone Chi." Chihiro smiled and then stared. Linca's eyes were pure white with no irises or pupils and her lips were bloodless and blue. She was beautiful in a kind of haunting way.

"Not as nasty as not telling your best friend your big secret." Retorted Chihiro, Linca frowned.

"I wanted to, I really did but I had to see how you were doing in the human world. Knowing your friend was a land spirit would seriously have biased your outlook on your life I think." She yawned, "besides, you never told me anything about your time here except in a roundabout way." Chihiro smirked.

"Can you blame me? Everyone thought I was crazy, including me sometimes."

"Well, what does it all matter now?" Said Linca taking her hand, "I brought you home."