Part twelve

Stiles woke up late the next morning. He sat up and looked around the room, a little confused at where he was for a few moments. "Morning." Derek said, not looking up from his laptop. "Morning." Stiles yawned, "What time is it??" Stiles asked. "It's almost half ten." Derek replied. Stiles nodded, "Wait, I thought you would've wanted to get an early start on the road."

Derek shrugged, "I'm not bothered about when we get on the road. I'll drive most of the night if I have to." Stiles nodded and got up, getting dressed, "When did you get up then??" Stiles asked. "About half five ish." Derek replied. "How were you awake at that time?!" Stiles asked, shocked. "I'm always up at that time." Derek chuckled. Stiles smiled, "Ok, well I'm ready to leave whenever you are." Derek nodded, "I'm ready to leave." He closed his laptop and got up.

It wasn't long until Derek was driving down country roads. "So, how are you feeling after the conversation last night??" Derek asked. "Are you talking about finding out you're a werewolf or finding out you like me more than a friend??" Stiles chuckled. "About finding out I'm a werewolf." Derek smiled.

Stiles sighed, "Now that I have slept on it, I'm not really bothered about it. I've always hoped werewolves and stuff existed. I'm not scared of you." He smiled. "Why aren't you scared of me??" Derek asked. "Because I know you won't hurt me. Plus, I've had more nightmares of failing AP chemistry." Stiles chuckled, "Anyway, where are we aiming to drive to today??" Derek thought for a moment, "I'm thinking Colorado but I'll probably not stop driving." Stiles nodded.

After a few minutes, Derek's phone rang. Derek answered it, "Hey Kirsty." He quickly pulled over after a few seconds. "What's wrong?? What happened??" He was silent for a few minutes. "Yeah, We'll be there." He said quietly. "Yeah, I'll be up to doing that. I'll see you then Kirsty, give my love to the kids." He hung up. "Everything ok??" Stiles asked. "Stay in the car please." Derek said as he got out. Stiles watched him.

Derek was soon punching the shit out of a tree. Stiles got out of the car quickly and went to him, pulling him away from the tree. Derek sank to the floor. Stiles went with him, "What's wrong??" He asked. Derek was silent for a little bit before answering, "My closest friend, more like a brother than a friend. He was in the marines with me. I left but he stayed. He died this morning in Iraq." Derek said quietly. "Oh shit, I'm so sorry." Stiles hugged him. Derek hugged him back. "Yeah, his funeral is next week. I don't know how I'll tell Cora." He sighed.

Stiles didn't know what to say. Derek stood up after a while, "We should continue driving." Stiles sighed and got up, "You going to be ok??" Derek nodded a little, "This isn't the first time I've lost someone close to me. I know how to deal with it." Stiles hugged him, "I'm here for you." Derek hugged him back, "Thanks."

Stiles gave him a small squeeze, "I feel incredibly small compared to you right now." He chuckled and looked up to look at Derek. Derek laughed a little and looked down at him before leaning down and lightly brushing his lips against Stiles' before pulling away quickly. "Sorry, I shouldn't have done that." He mumbled. "Don't apologise." Stiles smiled, "I don't care if you kiss me or not."

Derek smiled and decided to kiss him properly this time. Stiles kissed him back. Derek wrapped his arms around Stiles' waist as the kiss got deeper. Stiles wrapped his arms around Derek's neck, tangling his fingers in his hair. Derek smiled and picked Stiles up, carrying him to his car without breaking the kiss. Stiles wrapped his legs around Derek's waist. Derek put Stiles on the car bonnet.

After a few minutes, Stiles pulled away briefly, "We should probably get back on the road." He said, kissing him again. Derek made some sort of noise of agreement before pulling away, "Yeah, we should." He sighed and helped Stiles down off the bonnet. "When I'm a lot happier, we can continue what we started." Derek smiled at Stiles. Stiles smiled and nodded, "That's a good idea." Derek nodded, "Right, let's get going." Stiles and Derek got in the car and were soon driving again.