A Bittersweet Anniversary

Hope

It's been a month and a half since my wedding and I just got back from my honeymoon

It's been a month and a half since my wedding and I just got back from my honeymoon. Because of what happened with dad at my wedding reception, my husband and I postponed it. That was until dad practically forced me to go; he didn't want me to put my new life on hold for him. I wasn't happy with it but I went anyway to take some stress off of him. I know his main concern was me over himself; even from where he was. He called as often as he could which made me feel better about it though.

Anyway, while I was gone, I had what happened to uncle Trey constantly on my mind. Only because before I left, I wasn't able to read any more of mom's journal and my husband insisted I leave it behind; checking my luggage to make sure I didn't secretly pack it. That's one of the reasons I loved him; he just wanted me to enjoy myself instead of my main focus being those journal entries. Now that I was home, uncle Aug wanted to catch up with me; the journal being in his possession while I was on my honeymoon.

He called earlier saying he wanted to give me his side of everything I'd read so far. Not meaning he didn't read ahead; I wouldn't put that past him. I agreed, as exhausted as I was still jet-lagged and my body re-adjusting to the California time zone, and just pulled into the driveway. I knocked and used the key he and Aunt Tinashe gave me to enter and see both of them on the couch waiting for me. "I thought you were keeping her out of this uncle Aug," I say with confusion in my voice as I hug them before I sit down myself.

"That was before I read beyond where you left off... Your mom said your aunt is in just as much danger for how she helped her and your dad the night Trey passed..." I nod and stay silent so he could continue with his explanation. "Hope, while you were gone, they charged your father with your mom's murder. Someone drugged her so it looked like she had cancer and they think it was-" I cut my uncle off right there instantly pissed. "NO! HELL NO! We know who really did it! Dad loved her; he would NEVER do that shit!"

"Hey. We know; we saw how torn up he was when the doctor diagnosed her and how he was even worse when she passed. That doesn't mean they don't have a different plan for me and even you if you tried to clear your dad's name. What we didn't tell you is they want to give him the death penalty if they find him guilty. Both of us decided to wait until you got back knowing you'd rush home and after everything, you deserved that time to relax " I was just frozen; speechless and feeling so many different emotions.

Not only is my mother's murderer getting away with taking her from me but they framed my father and I could lose him too. "We can't let that happen auntie! Uncle Aug we have to do something!" Now I was in tears, wishing my husband was by my side to comfort me right now. I was broken at this point; wondering why all of this shit had to happen to dad and I. It was bad enough to see dad arrested the way he was and now to find out why... If I lost my dad like this, I don't know what I would do. My uncle came to my side to comfort me, letting me cry on his shoulder as he spoke.

"We're working on it niece. I already got the word out in the streets to come to me if anyone is bold enough to brag about setting him up for what happened to your mom. I promise you that once I hear something, I'm handling it and busting your dad the fuck out of that jail cell." I nod once again, still in tears, when my phone rings. Seeing it was the prison, I don't hesitate to answer so I could hear my dad's voice. "Hey princess," he says greeting me after I accept the charges for his call. That was enough to get me crying again.