If You Knew Me

If You Knew Me

Branch didn't like anyone, didn't care, and shared no sympathy for anyone— nothing. He found no use in...loving anyone, all it was, was just a waste of time—a distraction from things that actually matter--like his own survival and needs.

So here I am thinking my heart's made out of steel.

Oh, and please do not mistake Branch's warnings to the village about the Bergens for him caring about them. The only reason he warned them was simply because he stayed in that exact village. Also when he would scream at Poppy and her friends after musical numbers for being too loud and then warn them about the noise traveling and all that nonsense. Poppy would give him a specialized invitation to an even louder party anyways. She'd give him a rather happy content smile while handing him the invitation and watch glitter spew onto his not so amused facial features.

We're right here so why do I not know just how I feel?

That would usually end in him screaming at them, then stomping and smashing the invitation until it couldn't sing anymore, and then storming off. Sometimes he could still hear Poppy's whimpering behind him, and it made him feel another sort of upset other than his default. Later, when every troll was vacant from the main village arena and into their pods, he'd sneak back, grab the invitation and take it back to his bunker. There, he would use his handy dandy craftsman skills, fix it up and listen to it at least 20 times; closing and then opening it again to hear the little felt figures sing again. 'You're invited!' He'd smile each time.

But I just can't say that I'd like you to stay, stay with me.

As Branch got older, he did become a little less upset, but he was still quite rude and volatile; especially when it came to Poppy being stupid and naïve and doing everything possible that could attract the Bergens. Although, everyday it got harder and harder to deal with the fact that he was always stubborn. He tried not to be, but it was like a default; see them singing, when they're done, scold them for putting the whole village and destroy whatever invitation Poppy had made for him that day.

So tell me if there's any chance you'll let it go.

He couldn't stop thinking about his terrible behaviour, ultimately making him sadder than he was. Branch could say these were the worst few months of his life. (After the few months after his Grandma died) This everlasting guilt adding to the already heavy weight on his shoulders, but he couldn't change himself by--himself, even if he tried.

It's been a long few months and I need you to know that,

He decided he'd go out of his bunker more—more often than he did. Maybe not to talk to anyone, (like anyone would talk to him, the whole village hates him) but just to be one with nature. Funnily enough, it made him a little calmer, and he started writing poetry to help with his emotions. He found out he was actually quite good at it and also found it was a good use for therapy as well. As time went on, his poems began to form into poetry not about things, but about someone.

I have no clue what I'm going to do, but come with me.

Branch spent a lot of time thinking to him how happiness flowed so easily within everyone else but him. Yes, he did lose someone he loved, but other trolls in the village must've lost someone they loved too right? So why are they all still colourful and rainbow and all 'Smiley McSmiley face'? He also thought about what his life would be like if he were happy too, maybe he might not be so... lonely all the time.

Cause we're all trying to find the Promised Land, Promised Land. We listen to songs we don't understand, understand.

That, was the first time Branch ever contemplated whether he liked being lonely or not. It might not seem like a big deal, but he never ever worried about being alone forever. Now it suddenly became a tertiary priority to him. He was still grumpy and grouchy around Poppy and her friends and warns them about the Bergens, but for a new reason. He didn't want them to leave him; he didn't want to be alone.