Chapter 8

The smell of coffee beans and newly baked cupcakes filled the air as we stepped foot into the small cafe

The smell of coffee beans and newly baked cupcakes filled the air as we stepped foot into the small cafe. I stopped and breathed in the amazing smell, and all my senses tingled.

"This is sacred ground" I declared as I sighed in content.

"You're weird" Zach said as he chuckled and walked past me and up to the deli counter.

I smiled and walked up to him before I crouched down to look at all the pastries on display. I could feel my mouth watering just by looking at everything. My eyes settled on an Oreo cupcake with white frosting.

I straightened my posture before I ordered the cupcake and a chai latte. Once both Zach and I had payed we sat down in the far back of the almost empty café.

I immediately dug into my cupcake and almost moaned as the fantastic sweet flavor filled my mouth. Zach just shook his head as he chuckled at my apparently humorous behavior.

"If you keep that up you'll never get that 'oh so popular summer body' you know" he said as he sipped on his caramel latte with extra cream.

"It's worth it, food is life" I said and dismissed his comment with a wave of my hand.

"So..." he trailed off as he fixed the glasses sitting on the bridge of his nose. "Do you like, Brad? What did you two even do together until 2am? Are you going to meet up with him again?" He rambled on without stopping to catch his breath.

I laughed at his eagerness and leaned back in my seat as I wrapped my hands around my warm coffee cup. "Let me answer your questions with a question of my own first, how did you even know I got home that late?"

"[Y/N], I live across the street from you. The sound of his car woke me up from my beauty sleep much to my annoyance. But never mind that, now tell me what you two did, and don't you dare leave anything out!" Zach inquired as he leaned forward and rested his elbows on the table, his eyes sparkling with curiosity behind the thick glass of his glasses.

A smile crept upon my lips as I mirrored his actions and leaned over the table.

❁ ❁ ❁

Zach's eyes widened and he almost squealed like a little girl when I told him about the previous night. Once I had finished the layout he gasped.

"What do you mean you just waved goodbye?! [Y/N] [Y/L/N] you have to kiss to see if there's anything there!" He cried out completely mortified.

I hushed him and looked around to see if anyone in the cafe had noticed his outburst before I leaned back in my seat with a small smile painting my lips.

"Okay, okay gotta calm myself down" he mumbled to himself as he closed his eyes and breathed in and out. After a minute his eyes fluttered open and his grey gaze met mine. "Well, do you like him?"

My eyes flickered down to look at my now half eaten cupcake. I caught my bottom lip between my teeth to stop my smile from widening as I lifted my gaze up to look at him.

"He's not the person I first thought he was, but I'm not sure I like him yet. I mean, I enjoyed last night but I can't say I like someone based on one night alone you know. But I might like spending time with him a bit more than I should" I said and couldn't fight the smile that broke out across my face.

Zach smiled as he clasped his hands together. "I'm just so happy for you, my girl has finally gotten herself a boy!" He squealed in excitement.

"Woah, hold your horses. I've only gone out with him once"

Zach suddenly looked past me and a grin formed on his lips.

"What are you looking so smug about?" I asked as I turned to look over my shoulder.

My breath hitched in my throat when I saw Brad standing by the register. He laughed at something the the girl behind the register said and I couldn't help but to feel a spark of jealousy form in the pit of my stomach when he threw his head back and his laughter filled my ears.

As if he noticed me staring at him he suddenly turned his head to look in our direction and I quickly turned back around in my seat, my heart pounding widely in my chest.

I took a sip of my coffee and prayed that he hadn't seen me staring at him like some maniac. My nerves were on edge and I cursed under my breath when I could hear the sound of footsteps approaching. The footsteps stopped by our table and I looked up to see the curly haired brunette standing by our table.

He smiled down at me as he held a to go cup in his hand. "Hi"

I smiled back at him and choked out an almost incoherent hi.

"I have to use the loo" Zach suddenly said and stood up from his seat.

He winked at me before he walked towards the bathroom. I mumbled traitor under my breath and smiled awkwardly up at Brad all the while I planned on how to kill Zach in my head when he got back.

A/N
So I joined the school newspaper like a month ago, and I had no idea how much work it would be to be one of the editors in chief as well as one of the main writers. Like tomorrow is our first deadline and I'm not even halfway done with my article yet... I'm so gonna have to stay up all night writing.