Chapter 3

I turned and tossed around in bed, unable to fall asleep

I turned and tossed around in bed, unable to fall asleep. I groaned into the pillow in defeat. I was beyond tired but I just couldn't sleep because every time I closed my eyes I saw Brad pictured in my mind.

I sighed and turned around to lay on my side, facing the wall. I stared at it as my mind wandered. Why would he ask such a question? He had never shown any kind of interest in me before. The only time he ever seemed to even acknowledge my existence was when he along with Tris, James and Connor tormented Zach.

But, did he honestly ask me out, on like a real date?

I shot up in bed and shivered as the covers fell off my body and exposed me to the chilly air in my bedroom. I ran my hands down my face in disbelief. He really did ask me out.

❁ ❁ ❁

I squinted as I read the ridiculously small title that was covering the spine of the book before me. I scrunched my nose up in distaste before I allowed my fingers to travel over each and every spine of each and every novel as I walked along the different shelves filled with books ranging from biographies to fantasy. A small smile graced my lips as my fingertips ever so gently brushed against the spine of the books.

My hand stopped moving when my fingers graced upon the spine of a play with a title that caught my attention. My fingers wrapped around the book and I pulled it out from the shelf.

I turned it over to read the synopsis. My teeth bit down on my lower lip as my eyebrows furrowed together in concentration. The smile that was resting upon my lips widened and I turned the book over in my hands to look at the cover.

The sound of someone coughing next to me startled me and I quickly looked up from the book to see who it was. My smile disappeared from off my lips when I saw who it was.

Brad smiled as he looked down at the book in my hands. "Hamlet" he read the title aloud before his gaze shifted up to look at me again.
"I didn't know you were into Shakespeare"

"There's a lot you don't know about me" I stated as I eyed him up and down with suspicion.

"And I'd like to find it all out" Brad countered, a smile still evident on his lips as he tried to capture my gaze with his.

"What do you even want, Brad. Honestly. How did you even know I was here, do you stalk me or something?" I huffed in annoyance as I folded my arms over my chest and tapped the book against my upper arm. "You know what, don't tell me. I couldn't care less" I quickly added when I saw him opening his mouth to speak.

I brushed past him, heading for the exit, but Brad quickly wrapped a hand around my elbow to prevent me from getting away. I spun around and looked down at his hand that was wrapped around my elbow in distaste.

"Give me one chance, please. Just one, that's all I'm asking for. Go with me to the party tonight and I promise I'll leave you alone afterwards, if that's what you want" he pleaded.

"And what if I say no?" I asked as I brushed his hand off of me. I was really beginning to get pissed off by his odd behavior.

"Then I'll keep asking until you change your mind" He said as his brown eyes locked with mine.

I tore my gaze away from his and looked out the through the window in confusion. What drug was he on?

My thought process was interrupted when I saw Zach making his way across the road, towards the library which Brad and I was currently in. I looked back to Brad as a grin crept along my lips. Maybe there was a way I could turn this around in my favor after all.

"Let's make a deal" I stated

"A deal?"

"Yes, a deal. I'll go with you to the party, but only if you promise that you and your pack of idiots swear to leave Zach alone"

The brunette raised his eyebrows in slight surprise and gave me a once over, his brown piercing gaze slowly traveling up my form as a small grin tugged his lips in an upwards motion.

"Okay" He turned his gaze to look at me with a smug look resting upon his face. "But only if you promise to let your guard down, and at least try and have a good time. Only then we'll have a deal"

I bit down on my bottom lip and caught the soft flesh between my teeth as I looked out through the window once again, deliberating my choices. I made up my mind when I saw Zach walk up to the doors of the library, struggling to open the glass door as he had his arms full with books he was supposed to return.

I turned around to look at Brad and gave a subtly nod. "It's a deal"