Chapter 3: Linnea

[AN: I apologize for the start of this chapter, but I strive to make my stories realistic. And if this character is based off of me then I would realistically act this way. Not that I always curse like a sailor mind you.]

LINNEA’S POV

“Shit! Stupid motherfucking piece of shit for equip—“ I spewed out as the microphone hit the stage floor sending a screech out throughout the theater. I was stopped in my tirade by a masculine chuckle.

“And I thought Niall cursed a lot,” Harry said with a chuckle from his spot next to me. I felt my face flush as he continued to laugh.

“Gah,” I said on a frustrated groan running a hand across my face. “I didn’t mean to I was just so startled by Kimmy calling my name, and I reacted like—“ I paused as I realized something. “Wait. Kimmy is here?”

“Kimmy?” Harry asked with a grin. “Your little sister?” Harry and I had spent the time setting up talking about our families. I had explained about Kimmy being obsessed with the band. I had even told him about our parents passing away. I can’t help it. I’m a talker.  I had just neglected to mention the nightmares or the fact that we could barely afford food. I didn’t mind his sympathy, but I had a feeling that Harry would be one of those guys who would want to help in some way.  I wasn’t about to become someone’s charity case.

“Yes my little sister,” I shot back. I looked out across the theater to see her moving quickly towards the stage with four other boys in tow. As they got closer I realized she was flanked by the other members of Harry’s band. “Kimberly, why aren’t you at work?”

“I asked Mike to let me get off early so I could show the boys how to get here,” she said rolling her eyes.

“We can’t really afford for you to just take time off to gallivant around town. We are barely making ends meet as it—is—“ I stopped realizing that the boys were listening in carefully. Oh good job Linnea. Why don’t you just tell them everything? Next I can shout from the rooftops about my nightmares. I was interrupted from mentally berating myself when I felt a warm hand at the small of my back.

“What do you mean you can’t make ends meet?” I didn’t have to open my eyes to know it was Harry. His slow, melodic voice was filled with sympathy. I couldn’t deal with it right now. I flashed open my eyes to see Kim shooting me an angry glance. She hated the sympathy we got from people even more than I did.

“I need to finish the set up,” I said moving away from Harry’s warm touch. “The sound system is almost ready. I can also set up lights if you need them.” I continued to walk away towards the side stage area. I could hear voices and movements behind me, but I ignored them. Kimmy could distract them and change the conversation around. I needed to focus on the task at hand anyways. I don’t know how long I spent at the sound board, but when I turned I came face to face with one of Harry’s bandmates.

“Hi. I’m Liam,” he said with a soft smile. He kind of reminded me of a little puppy. “Haz said we should just give you some space, but you look like you need to talk.”

“Haz?” I asked.

“Uh…Harry. I call him Haz from time to time. It’s a nickname of sorts.”

“Well it’s nice to meet you Liam, but I’m not really in the mood to talk, okay?” I returned my gaze to the sound board. “Do you guys need me to rig up any lights? Harry said you tend to organize most of that stuff.”

“Where did you get those rings?” he asked studying the chain around my neck. I fingered the two small gold bands gently.

“They belonged to my parents. I keep them around my neck since they passed away.” His face held a sympathetic look as he reached out to touch the rings. I stood there in shock as he played with the rings from where they hung on my neck. He opened his mouth to say something when he was jerked away suddenly.