America's Next Top Model

Kurt woke with a start, coughing and barely able to breathe. He couched and hacked violently as his dad rushed into the room. Burt rubbed small circles on his son’s back. He held out a glass of water and, without thinking, Kurt gulped down the entire glass. He immediately clapped a hand over his moth and headed for the bathroom.

    Burt followed closely behind him and stopped the door from closing when Kurt tried to shut it before being sick. Burt knelt down next to his son and moved his hair back off his sweaty, clammy forehead.

    “Shhh, that’s it buddy. Okay, you’re okay,” Burt said quietly, the same way he would when Kurt was a little boy. After a couple of minutes it stopped ad Kurt leaned aback against his dad’s chest, breathing deeply. He was covered in sweat and his clothes were sticking to him but he was shivering. Burt gave Kurt a cloth to wash his face with and then helped him back to the couch.

    Burt disappeared for a few seconds and returned with a new t-shirt. Kurt changed slowly and then lied down and pulled the cover over himself, shivering. Burt pushed the armchair next to the couch, turned the TV onto a runway show and pressed mute. He ran his hand through Kurt’s hair and massaged his son’s aching head.

    “I love you dad,” Kurt said hoarsely.

    “I love you too Kurt,” Burt said smiling. Kurt drifted off to sleep again and Burt changed the channel from what was apparently called ‘America’s Next Top Model’ to ‘Deadliest Catch’. He sat n silence watching the TV and waiting for the boys to get back.