chapter 27

HOLY SHIT FUCK DAMN PENIS WE'RE ON SIX THOUSAND READS WHAT THANK U ILY HVAKSKSKSKS

• • •

MELANIE'S POV

i grow impatient as i stare at lainey's post. this bitch is trying to fuck with my head, and something bad is going to happen, i just know it. i mean, why else would she be tagging me, texting me, and trying to get all up in my life? she wants vengeance, but i don't fucking know why. and know that she's in texas, i can't help but feel scared.

what does this bitch want from me?

deciding that it's probably a bad idea to keep all of this in, and that at least telling someone could take away some stress, i jump off the couch and make my way upstairs. i find myself in a hall lined with closed doors. i assume that ian's room must be the furthest down the hall as muffled voices are coming from there. i walk up to the doorway.

"hey, ian, can i talk to y–" everyone is staring. i don't even think any of them have batted an eye yet.

i look to ian, who tries to avoid eye contact, moving his eyes round until they reach matt. i look at matt, who's just staring back at me. he doesn't look like he's gonna even try to say something.

what the fuck is going on?

"ooh mel," romil giggles. "we were just talkin bout–" he tries to whisper, but ameer slaps his arm.

what? they were talking about me? what the fuck about?

there's a small part in my conscience that wants to think they were badmouthing me, but the larger part tries to assure that they wouldn't do that.

they're my friends, and i kind of felt that matt was too.

instead of asking what they talking about, i decide that i can figure this lainey drama out on my own. i need to. "um, you know what? i think i'm just gonna go home," i nod to myself as i walk back downstairs.

"no, mel," ian says in a complaining tone, trying to chase after me.

"no, it's okay. i want to go home."

he just sighs, stopping at the staircase. "okay, then. text me when your home."

when i open the front door, i find merlyn, who has his fist raised as if you just about to knock. "oh, hey mel," he smiles. "i know i'm a little late, so i thought i'd pick up some candy." he holds up a bag of assorted candies and i just nod.

"i'll see you at school, merlyn," i say softly, walking past him.

"oh ... um, okay!" he says as i have already past the front gate.

my phone buzzes one more time. an imessage ... from lainey.

...

MATT'S POV

shit. what if she took this the wrong way? what if she thought we were talking bad about her? in that case, i should have run after her.

fucking romil.

ian comes back in the room with slumped shoulders. "yo romil, what the fuck, man?"

"sor-ry," romil shrugs.

"why you always gotta fucking blurt shit," ameer says, annoyed.

"romil, until you're close friends with mel, stay out of it," ian says. "now, get out my chair."

romil just raises his hands in defence, jumping out of the leather seat.

"guys," i utter suddenly. they all turn. "maybe we should just give her a little space..." says the guy who was wanting to run after her.

ian just stares. i can't help but want to sink in my skin. his stare is intimidating. but he soon sighs, and nods. "i hate to admit this," ian turns to the group, "but matt's right." then he mumbles, "no offence, matt."

i nod awkwardly, knowing that i kind of deserve any disapproval. i've been a shitty person until mel came along ... particularly towards ian. there was a point in my earlier high school days where i did push him and his friends around. thinking about it now, i feel disgustingly guilty.

"it's cool," i mutter in response.

• • •

sorry i didn't update earlier :(
should i do a Q&A type thing soon, where y'all can ask me random Q's in the comments? whatchu think? 🐝