Chapter 26

Three years later

   Ebuka's P. O. V

  I and my family are in church since it is Sunday. The mass just ended and we are on the field inside my car except Mirabel who stood outside the car.

      "Baby,where should we go to?", I asked Mirabel.

     " You guys can go to KFC,Tastee, Sweet sensation, it depends on where the twins want to go to",she suggested.

     "Ain't you tagging along?", I asked.

   " Well,no. I HV C.W.O (Catholic Women Organization) to attend. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy something for me on your way home. ",she replied.

     " Hey mom,take this(she gave her a beautiful silver necklace) we bought it for you. Do u like it?", Vidya asked.

        "Its really beautiful. I love it. Thanks baby", she said as she kissed Vidya on the cheek.

     " I am jealous ",I said and they all laughed.

     " Take this dad. We also got this for you( he gave me a gold wristwatch). I know you will love it. We just felt like been generous. Don't get us wrong", Victor said and we laughed again. The watch was really beautiful.

     "Thanks pumpkin. Can we go now?", I asked.

    " Yea but where to?", Victor asked.

    "Tastee", I said

    " ooooohhh-hhh",the twins said.

   "Bye,mum", they said as they kissed and hugged their mum.

    " I love you guys",Mirabel said.

     "We love you more", Victor and Vidya said.

    " Bye baby",I said as I  kissed Mirabel on the lips and off we went.

____________________________________

   When we got to Tastee ,Victor and Vidya said they will wait inside the car while I buy food for them. I begged and begged but they insisted they will stay in the car so I left.

       As I came out of Tastee,I saw crowd gathered in front of my car. I began to wonder what happened. When I got closer I saw a truck  has scrushed my car. I ran to the back seat and saw my children bleeding. I began to shout for help. A taxi was called for me so with the help of a good samaritan,I entered with Victor and Vidya.

        On our way to the hospital Victor said in a weak tone,"Daddy, we won't make it. No need to worry,weeeee........".

     "Shut up,you guys will make it,I promise", I said as I began to cry.

      " Don't make promises,you can't fulfill",Vidya said in whispers.

     "Please don't talk like this. I love you guys,I can't allow you guys to die. You guys are my life", I managed to say.

      " We love you too.........daaaaddddyy,we don't want to dieeeeee",she said as tears ran down her cheeks.

     "I don't want you to die either please fight,you guys are survivors please do this for daddy", I begged.

       " Daddy,I ddddoonnnnttt wwanntt to die. They are calling me daddy,plleeasse tell them am too young to die. Please dadddy,ppllease", Vidya said as she held my hands tight. They look so miserable, their body are stained with blood. And they HV some minor cuts on their body.

      "Tell mummy,we love her. Tell her notttttt to wwooorrrryyy", Victor said as began to pant heavily,then he died.

      I looked at Vidya and she was panting very fast," Am sorrryy,we failed you. I love u daddy,you are the best dad in the world ",those were her last words before she gave up.

       I just sat there and cried like the baby, that I am.

____________________________________

Mirabel P. O. V

      I don't know why but I was scared as I was drinking water,the glass cup fell from my hand and broke. And the funniest part is I held that cup firmly.

      It was 01:30am and Ebuka is not yet back with the children. Did something happen? Why is he not picking my calls or replying my text messages?.

      Suddenly the door opened and I saw Ebuka as he entered,his cloth and body stained with blood. I ran outside checked the car but I didn't see Victor and Vidya. I asked the gateman,he said Ebuka didn't come back with them. Okay,this just increased the tension.

       I ran back inside the house," Babbby,please where are the children?. Please tell me you drop them at your mums place. Please answer me.......where.....are...the.....children? ",I asked as I began to cry.

     He fell on his knees and began to cry like a baby.

    " Please answer me,where are my children? ",I yelled.

      " They.......are......dead. I am....so...sorry.....I......failed.....you",he stammered.

  "It is a joke right. Victor, Vidya come out already......you have scared mummy enough. Enooouuggh with the games......if...not.....you......will be grounded for a year", I shouted. Maybe they are hiding, they must be playing prank on me. They can't leave me.

      Ebuka stood up and held me tight,he whispered into my ears.", They are dead........ Amm ssoo sorry........ They are not playing a prank on you". I pushed him away from me.

      " Its a lie,they can't die and leave me here. I saw them this morning. They are just nine years old, how can God be cruel enough to take my only children.....my only hope.......my source of living,away from me. Why God answer me? Why my children? Why not someone else child? Why mine? God answer me",I shouted as I fell on the tiles crying profusely.

      Ebuka sat with me on the ground and pulled me to him saying,"They said they love you".

     I hugged him back and began to cry on his shoulders, "I love them too", I said.