Part 44

Nicole

"Thank you for doing this, Mr. Lee."

He leaned down, just close enough to whisper into my ear. "We're not at work and we're supposed to be acting as if we're dating."

I raised an eyebrow in silent question: 'So?'

He'd read my mind. "Call me Jin."

"Nicole!" Jin jumped and stepped away from me as if we'd been caught doing something unseemly.

My mother was the owner of that voice and I scolded myself for not telling her before-hand about my plans to make Tony believe I'd moved on. I couldn't tell her here, her shock would be all too audible for the crowd of prying ears.

As she waltzed over, I attempted to prepare myself for any embarrassing comment my mother decided was entertaining enough to grace her lips.

"Who is this?" she questioned. Jin gave me a look before plastering the fakest smile I'd ever seen on his lips.

"Mom," I sighed, "This is my boss."

Jin cleared his throat pulling me to his side with one hand and holding out the other for a handshake.

"And Nicole's boyfriend." he said, grabbing my mom's hand to shake it.

I knew that this is what I'd asked him to do, but hearing him say that out loud felt strange.

"Excuse me!" the justice of the peace exclaimed through the microphone. "The ceremony will begin in a moment. Please take your seats."

The wedding was being held outside in a beautiful garden, filled with orange and white chrysanthemums, Eva's favorite flower. The wooden fold-able outdoor chairs were white and a big orange bow hung from the back of each of them. Jin and I took our seats with the family on the groom's side.

My cousin Andre, older only by two years, was getting married. I wasn't really sure that I was happy about it. I hoped that this marriage would last, but my cousin was a flirt. I'd never seen him in a relationship that lasted longer than two months. And suddenly he's getting married.

But maybe I'm wrong. I could very well be. Maybe he's changed and is trying to do better. Eva, his bride, is a beautiful woman. So beautiful she was hard to compare to any other woman. He had better not lose her. If he did, I'd smack him myself. Not only was she externally beautiful, but she was kind-hearted, down to earth, and put Andre in his place when he said something out of line.

Maybe it was possible for him to change because of her. Could a person really change another?

A violinist accompanied by piano began playing. Andre and his groomsmen began walking down the aisle. Soon enough the bridal party entered and then the music slowed in anticipation of the bride.

She was gorgeous. Her ivory dress had a lace flowered print at the top and was made up of sheer material at the bottom. The look was tied together with a small and elegant bow at the waist. She walked down the aisle confident, determined, and sure. Her eyes never left Andre's and Andre looked as if the sight before him was too much to take in. As if her beauty shone too bright and he was unable to process the woman walking towards him.

"Friends and family, we are gathered here today to witness the marriage of two young individuals who have never been more in love."

The slow, muffled whine of a child begins building into an outrageous scream. 

Take it away...

Unfortunately the child's parents didn't catch my telepathic message, so I decide to shoot an annoyed glare instead. I'm surprised to see some random woman holding Abigail in her arms and giving me an apologetic smile in response. They'd been sitting in the row behind us.