Part 5

Nicole

After the conference was over I went home. I couldn't help thinking about that man, the man who spilled my coffee all over me, the man that I hit with the bathroom door, the man whose name I still have yet to know. He spoke at the conference today, I guess that means he's one of my superiors, but I didn't even catch his name. I came just as he began his speech. I guess he had been introduced, but I was too busy gathering my papers and notebooks to take down notes at the conference, so I was a bit late. It almost made me want to find out his name, to know more about him, but something tells me he's the type of guy that wants others to keep at a distance. 

My first day wasn't as bad as I thought it would turn out, despite the run-ins with Mr. Uptight. They fed us lunch at the conference and nothing's better than a free meal. They even let us go back for seconds, so I made sure to fix a plate to take home and keep in the fridge for tomorrow.

I was almost ready to get into bed and sleep. It had been a long day and if I didn't get to sleep now, I don't think I'd be able to get up tomorrow morning. There was a call on my cellphone. I reached over and grabbed it off of the nightstand as I sat down on the bed. It was Tony. Again. I knew that if I didn't answer he'd just call again. So I decided to get it over with.

"I'm tired, it's been a long day, and I just want to sleep."

"No hello?"

"Tony... It's 11:00 o'clock at night."

"Nic. You and me used to talk on the phone 'til 4, 5 in the morning."

"Tony, that was a long time ago. I have to get up tomorrow morning."

"I know you ain't going to work on a Saturday."

"No, but I do have other things to do Tony."

"Alright. I get it. I'll call you tomorrow."

"Don't-" Dial tone. He hung up. "Whatever."

I threw my phone on the pillow and curled up under the covers. It was too late to worry about Tony. I had to wake up at 6:30 tomorrow morning. Our Department Head,  Mr. Nahm had invited all of the interns out to lunch at 1.

I knew I'd have to stop by my mother's early that morning, I'd told her a couple of days ago that I would stop by for breakfast and she was looking forward to it. So I'd have to make that hour long drive down to mama's house tomorrow morning.

-

I'd been at mama's house for about three hours and it was about 11:30. I hadn't been keeping track of time and I knew I'd have to go now, if I didn't want to face traffic.

I said my goodbyes and left. 

It took about an hour to get back to my side of town. It was 12:30 when my car ran out of gas near my house.

Great. How could I forget about that bright orange gas light on my dashboard?

The bus stop wasn't too far from this very spot and the bus would take me quite close to the meeting spot for lunch, though I probably wouldn't get there on time. I quickly hopped out the car and locked the doors. I almost tripped, sprinting my way to the bus stop. 

Fortunately, the bus came not too long after I'd gotten there, though I hoped Mr. Nahm and the other interns would think me enough of an asset to wait an extra five minutes for me.

The bus stopped a minute or two from my destination and I speed walked from there.

I had good fortune today, for once in my adult life. I saw the little group of my co-workers talking excitedly. Mr. Nahm and another tall figure stood in the center of the crowd. 

"Sorry I'm late!" I called from across the sidewalk.

And an all too familiar voice muttered, "Of course."

Was that good fortune only meant to last for five minutes?