Part 40

Jin

"It's happening!" Jasmine exclaimed.

"You say that as if I know what you're talking about." I said, unfastening the cufflinks from my sleeves. I didn't want her to notice that I'd been wearing the ones she'd bought for me long ago.

"I told you, that I would end this. That I would make it right."

"What do you mean, Jasmine?!"

What nonsense are you here for this time?

"She found out."

"What?" Was that supposed to mean something to me?

She continued. "Kenji's wife. She knows. I told her." She smiled as if she'd accomplished something. She was truly proud of herself.

"Well, are you happy?" I asked.

She stepped forward, her eyes searching mine. "I'm one step closer to wiping the slate clean. To righting my wrongs. I'm ecstatic."

"Jasmine, understand me. I will never forgive you for what you've done and I hope that woman never forgives you either. Can you really, without remorse, tell me that you are ecstatic about tearing apart a marriage?!"

Was she always this stupid? This cruel and selfish? The woman standing in front of me now was the same spoiled girl I'd met in college. It was all about her. How had I not realized it then?

I couldn't stop my voice from raising, the anger building up in me. "You told that woman that you slept with her husband! Can you even imagine what she must be feeling? I can tell you for sure, that you aren't capable of even understanding an inkling of that pain."

"Jin," she whispered. "Baby. I'm trying to make things right. I won't stop trying to make things right with you."

"You can't." I said. "What is it that you can't understand? I'm done." I looked over at Nicole, who at the moment seemed to be distancing herself from the conversation... and from me. I walked around my desk to stand beside her, eyeing her warily and praying she would play along. I grabbed her hand before she could inch away any further. "And you're making Nicole uncomfortable." I said before slipping my arm around her waist. I was going to have to thoroughly apologize for this later. "So please, stop showing up here."

It took a minute before any sign of her processing that information showed on her face, but when it did, it was not at all what I'd expected.

Jasmine smiled. As if that strange reaction hadn't been enough, she drew closer to us, ambling across the room. When she reached us, she lifted her hand. I'd expected a slap to the face, but she presented her hand in front of Nicole, reaching out for a handshake. Nicole looked as confused as I felt.

"I've been so rude. This is my second time seeing you and my first time acknowledging you. My name is Jasmine. Jasmine Sato."

Nicole surprisingly slipped out of her confusion and right into character. She accepted Jasmine's handshake and smiled back. "Nicole Pearson." She introduced herself.

"You're Jin's new girlfriend, right?" Jasmine asked. Nicole took a quick look at me before turning back to Jasmine.

"Right." Nicole quipped.

"Great. Well, I don't know if Jin's told you but-"

"Oh, he has." Nicole cut in. "Don't worry."

Jasmine looked between us and then at the arm I kept around Nicole's waist. I was a little startled to feel Nicole's arm snaking up my back before giving me a quick squeeze. Nicole's smile widened.

Jasmine lifted her head in defiance. "Well, it was good to meet you Nicole. I'll see you around Jin." Jasmine said before swiveling on the heel of her black suede flats and closing the door behind her.

As soon as the door had closed I took a step back from Nicole. "I apologize for continuing to get you involved in my private life. I won't let that happen again."

"It's a little too late for that Boss. Looks like I'm in deep. And you're a little too deep in my personal business too." She said raising her sculpted eyebrows.

"What do you mean?"

"I have... a favor to ask of you."