Part 30

Jasmine

"You're lucky you're bilingual. I searched day and night to find an opportunity like this one for you. Get your tail back here to NYC and then we can take the flight to Japan. This is Pepsi, Jasmine, PEPSI. You had better thank me on hands and knees when you get here. This an opportunity of a lifetime! No one else, but me could've got you something like this."

"Dane. I'll think about it."

"Think about it? Think about it?! There is nothing to think about especially with such limited time."

"I'll have your answer by the end of the day." I exhaled, finally ending the call.

My bags were packed, I knew I had to leave, but I had wanted to impress Jin before I left. Somehow make it up to him, by showing him how much I'd changed. Deciding I'd come back after the shoot for the commercial, I was set on leaving something for him before I left.

I ordered a taxi and rode it down to The Public Health Center. Asking the driver to wait a bit for me to come back out, I left my luggage in the cab. Upon entering the building, I stopped at the cafe on the ground floor and ordered two jasmine teas and a small banana oat muffin, which I slipped into my purse for later.

I finally reached the top floor. Hoping I wouldn't run into Hugh, I hurried over to Jin's office and walked up to Mason's desk.

"Just the man I wanted to see." I smirked. The brat sighed when he saw me. 

"Please don't bother Mr. Lee. I've no intention of getting into anymore trouble."

"Don't worry." I said, sitting the two cups of tea on his desk. I plucked a stack of sticky notes from the desk and peeled one off only to stick it to one of the cups, leaving him a message that was sure to inform Jin that the tea was from me. "Leave this on your boss' desk. He'll know who its from."

"That's what I'm afraid of..." Mason muttered under his breath, sliding his glasses back up his oily nose. 

I picked up my cup of tea before taking a sip. Silently saying my goodbyes to Jin. Once I hopped back into the taxi, I had the driver take me straight back to the airport.         
.

.

.

"You just ate whatever you wanted over there didn't you?"

"Dane! Enough!" I exploded after having enough of hearing him tell me how fat I'd gotten. After flying to New York, Dane and I immediately boarded a plane to Japan where he began his rant on my eating habits and the 'pouch' I'd formed around my waistline. We were now headed to our separate hotel suites.

"Did you even think of exercising? We had a schedule remember? A routine. You were forming good habits. And now you've gone and gained weight!"

Gained weight? That was virtually impossible for me. This... made it so that all I could do was lose weight. Dane just enjoyed nagging.

"Dane. I'm tired. I'm going to bed. Good night." I said, before slamming the door to my room behind me.

I plopped down on the freshly made bed. I was finally back in Japan. It was here that Kenji and I met. We were young, both visiting extended family and trying to connect with our roots and our culture. Finding out that we were both from Georgia seemed like fate to me at the time. Now it seems like more of a curse.

A rush of bile shot up to my throat. No. Not now. Not now.

I shook my head, covering my mouth, willing my nausea to go away. And losing the fight. I flew off the bed opening the nearest door, hoping to find a toilet. No such luck. It was the closet, but my stomach cared not about where I emptied its contents, as long as the contents were emptied. 

The cream colored carpet that covered the closet floor, was soiled.

This was the last thing I needed and right before an audition. I lied there on the floor, robbed of my energy and felt a tear slide down my cheek. Slowly, but surely, I made my way to the actual bathroom and ran the water for a shower. I stepped into the shower and sat down, letting the water run over my face, hair and everything else. I only wished the shower would wash away my impurities. My sins. My sickness...

I wrapped myself in a towel, escaping the steam-filled bathroom. A knock sounded at the door. Pure curiosity led me to the door to glance out the peephole.

It was Dane.

I begrudgingly opened the door, wondering what he could possibly want.

"What Dane?" I hissed.

He chuckled lazily. His white face flushed and his beer belly protruding from the bottom of his shirt. He was obviously drunk.

He pushed his way inside of my hotel room and I shut the door behind him. He ambled his way over to the bench that sat at the foot of my bed and plopped down on it.

"What makes that adulterer better than me, huh?" Dane yelled sluggishly.

"Dane, you're drunk and just as disgusting as you are when you're sober."

He stood up almost toppling over in the process. He staggered over to me and grasped my shoulders. He opened his mouth to say something, but halted after seeing the expression on my face once I breathed in the vile, toxic smells that left his mouth. His breath was disgusting.

His face quickly fell into a grimace and he launched it towards mine. I'd never experienced such quick reflexes in my life. I immediately dodged his puckered lips and shoved him away. That, in turn, sent him flying to the ground, knocking him out temporarily. I stood there watching for a minute, making sure he didn't hit his head too hard and that he was still alive.

I was in no shape to drag him back to his room and he was knocked out for the night.

After putting on my night clothes in the bathroom, I turned out the lights and climbed into the bed, leaving Dane on the floor.

.

.

.

When I woke up Dane was gone. I got dressed and put my sunglasses on before exiting the hotel. Dane and I stepped out into the hallway at the same time. I said nothing and began making my way down to the lobby.

"About, last night..." he began under his breath.

"Don't let it happen again."

When we arrived I was immediately taken to hair and make-up. Then to wardrobe.

"This is it." Dane grinned.