Part 29

She felt arms grab her before she could fall, then everything went black. That was all Nicole could remember, as she awakened.

"Is this the reason you're so hesitant to marry my daughter, Mr. Lee?" a surly voice questioned. Nicole's head ached, she attempted to open her eyes but the sunlight coming through the windows kept them shut. She recognized the voice that spoke next.

"With all due respect Mr. Johns, I'm not obligated to tell you that." he said in a tone just as surly as the first.

"You had better watch yourself, Mr. Lee. This hospital pays for your research."

"And my research promotes this hospital. I don't want that to change." Jin said.

"Which is why this merger is so imperative! We could seal the deal." Mr. Johns replied.

"This merger is ridiculous. I had no idea arranged marriages were still in fashion."

"That's because you're not used to this world Mr. Lee. Once you realize the power of society and status, I'll be waiting for you to accept my offer." Mr. Johns challenged. He left the room, slamming the door shut behind him with no regard for the sleeping woman on the hospital bed.

Ouch. Nicole's head ached.

Jin still stood at the door, letting Mr. Johns' words absorb. Was he being foolish? Was he passing up a lucrative business opportunity? He couldn't stand Iris, but what if he was letting his feelings stand in the way of his success?

Jin crossed the room and sat down on the couch that sat underneath the window sill. Placing a hand behind his head, he stretched out on the couch. He wondered if Mr. Johns would let his daughter know of their conversation. Or worse, let her know where Jin was. At the slightest inclination of Jin's whereabouts, Iris was there in an instant. Jin estimated it would take about 45 minutes, before Iris would be here, bopping around the place like a whac-a-mole.

Nicole hoisted herself up in the hospital bed, alerting Jin to her consciousness. 

Still squinting her eyes for fear of being blinded by the sunlight, Nicole finally sat up despite the pounding in her head

"Hi..." she smiled slightly.

"Hi." Jin responded. He stood and went over to her bed side. "Do you remember what's going on?"

"Uh..." Nicole struggled for a moment, squeezing her eyes shut as if to make herself remember. "Adrian!" she gasped. She jumped from under the sheets, attempting to pull the IV out of her arm.

"Woah, woah, woah!" Jin said grabbing her arm before she had the chance to yank it out. "First of all, that doesn't work like in the movies, so let's wait for the nurse to come take it out. And second, his mother is fine. She's still sleep and he's with her now. Give them some time."