Part 42

Tony

"You sure you want me in the wedding man?"

"Man of course I want you there! You're my best man. You can't drop out now, the wedding's this Sunday! Two days man!" Andre said, shouting over the music. The guys decided to throw his bachelor party at the club. A scene I was no longer comfortable with.

"I'm not trying to back out. I just wanna make sure its not gonna be uncomfortable for you."

"Just because you and Nicole broke up, doesn't mean you have to forfeit my wedding. And Nicole's my cousin, but she's just gonna have to deal with it. I can't uninvite her to the wedding either, so you're both just gonna have to suck it up and be big kids. Now stop sitting here, pouting and get up!"

Dre left for the dance floor after that. Leaving me seated in our little section in the corner of the club. The loud noises and flashing neon lights, brought back memories I'd rather forget. I sauntered over to the bar to get a drink. And signaled the bartender over.

"What'll you have?" He asked.

Then again, I hadn't had anything to drink since that night. Not a drop of alcohol. I couldn't afford to loose control of my senses again, and I certainly couldn't afford to father anymore kids. One was expensive enough.

"Club Soda." The bartender immediately started to pour the drink. And slid it to me once he was done.

Abby was over at my mom's for the night. My mother insisted I let Abby sleep over for the night, but I assured her that I'd be back to get her before 12 o'clock midnight. I couldn't stay here much longer.

"That's it?!" Andre said coming up from behind me.

"Yes man. That's it. You know what happened the last time I drank."

"Alright man! At least get out here and dance. Do your thing, attract a few honeys."

"Dre, you know the only woman I want to be attracting right now, is your cousin."

"It's good to see you as in love as I am. So I'll tell you what, I'll give a little advice to get you guys back together: Make sure she sees what she's been missing! But, tonight is my last night at the club! Okay? So let me enjoy it! Come on!"

We made our way to the dance floor, through sweaty, gyrating bodies and did some gyrating ourselves until Dre said, "Mm. Mm. Mm. Look at that one over there!"

 Look at that one over there!"

"Don't even dwell on it. Don't get yourself in trouble."

"Listen, ain't none of these women worth losing my woman over. Now tell me that dude's name again. The one who came with you."

"Yeah, James, he covered for me at work I figured the least I could do was invite him out."

"Aye James!" Dre shouted waving his hand above the crowd. James was a little occupied with a young girl over in the corner. He whispered something in her ear and sauntered over to us, giving us dap when he finally reached us. James looked a little too used to this scene. More than I'd expected him to be.

"Hey."

"What do you say after this, you, me, and a couple of the guys go hit up another club. Your boy Tony's bout to bounce. He's gotta get back to the baby girl." Dre said.

"That's right! My baby girl's gon' always come first." I proudly acknowledged.

We grabbed jackets and walked towards the exit.

Like a flash, almost an apparition, it seemed like I saw her. In an attempt to run after her, I left James, Dre and his friends in my wake, making a trail through the crowd. Pushing past everyone in my way, I ran closer to who I thought was Abigail's mother.

The woman seemed to walk through the exit. Once I'd finally reached it, I shoved through the doors and raced out onto the streets.

My head swiveled from the left to the right, but there was no sign of her.

"Man, what is wrong with you?!" Dre panted beside me. "I know you're not in that much of a hurry."

"Yeah," I sighed. "I-I gotta go. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

I headed off down the dimly lit sidewalk towards my car. This was ridiculous, it's not like I couldn't go and talk to her if I really wanted to. I could. I have an address and a phone number that I believe are still correct. I send her pictures of and letters about Abigail every other week.

So what was there to say? "Come see your child"? "Be a part of her life"?

I couldn't do that. Not when she'd been so adamant about not wanting Abigail. And what was I supposed to do to change her mind? I couldn't, no matter how hard I tried.