Part 22

Tick, tock, tick, tock.

The sound of the large clock in the corner of the conference hall overpowered the whispers from the employees and journalists in the audience. Where is she? It was 2 o'clock, the lights had dimmed and a spotlight appeared on stage, in expectation of the speaker, and yet no-one appeared on stage.

She asked me if I could host this conference. Not the other way around. And yet I'm the one who required my employees to attend and invited journalists to feature her lecture. In their minds, I'm responsible for this conference.

Dr. Karen Smith had requested that Jin set-up this event and use his connections to have it publicized, offering of course her clinic's services in return. Her impertinence came across clearly in her tardiness. If she thought that some sorry excuse would get her out of this one, she'd be dead wrong.

After about 5 more minutes of waiting for Dr. Smith to turn up, Jin rose from his seat and stepped up on the stage.

"I apologize, for this inconvenience. Thank you all for showing up today. We'll allow Dr. Smith another 30 minutes, before we move on with the program. I've arranged for another speaker to be here to speak with you about the causes and complications of stroke. In the meantime please enjoy the Hors d'oeuvres." Jin smiled politely at the audience, doing a fine job of hiding his irritation.

Power walking off the stage, Jin grimaced to himself. He now had to get a doctor here, in under 30 minutes to speak impromptu in front of an audience. He quickly exited the conference room, hearing a small group of footsteps follow him out.

Jin whipped out his phone after jogging down the hallway and turning the corner, searching through his contacts to find help. "Great." he muttered caustically.

Hugh appeared around the corner. "This is why I keep telling you to get a personal assistant." he said, eyebrows furrowed. He was just as worried.

Jin sighed. "Personal assistant or not," he said as Nicole appeared around the corner. "We'd still be faced with this problem." Troy appeared right behind Nicole.

"What?" Jin hissed at the two interns.

"What can I do to help?" Nicole asked. "I figured something was wrong."

Jin groaned, this was the last thing he needed to deal with right now. Annoying interns. "Go get me a pen and paper."

"Yes sir." Nicole volunteered and ran back inside the conference hall. Now only Troy stood, awaiting direction.

"Just... go and entertain the guests until we can figure this out." Hugh insisted.

Jin dialed Mason's number and he picked up after the third ring. "Mason go into my office and get me a list of doctors from the hospitals we fund. Name and number."

"Yes sir." he could hear Mason scrambling out of his seat.

"Stay on the line with me Mason."

"Yes sir." Mason answered as he rummaged through file cabinets. Nicole arrived with pen and paper in hand. Jin rushed her over. After having written down about 10 names and numbers, Jin was becoming impatient.

"Thank you, Mason. I'll call back if there's anything else."

Dr. Trevon Elliot was thankfully able to assist them and was able to get there in less than 15 minutes.

Jin's facial features visually relaxed once he saw Dr. Elliot stride into the conference hall, but they quickly contorted into a frown when a scrawny young woman entered the room right behind him. Instead of following Dr. Elliot onto the stage or grabbing a seat, she ran up to Jin and whispered into his ear, "I'm so sorry! Dr. Smith said to-" Before the young woman could say anymore, Jin grasped her by the arm and escorted her out as quickly and quietly as possible.