Chapter 20: The Last Chapter

Charlotte's under dress^

This is not the last chapter. This is only the chapter's name. Don't worry I'm not finished with this story quite yet. Please enjoy. Part 2 of this story is coming up after chapter 21.

~Skittles <3

NOT EDITED

Just like that. May came and went. And graduation was tomorrow.

My throat felt parched as I glanced at my attire in the mirror. The ugly yellow graduation gown swallowed my small frame and touched just past my knees. The matching yellow cap looking quite off with the whole ensemble. Underneath, I wore a white, knee-length dress with lace off-the-shoulder sleeves so my dress wouldn't show through the gown. My blonde hair fell in short curls around my face and for a split second, I almost couldn't believe that this was happening. My senior was coming to an end.

All those years of heartbreak, tragedy, and the bitter words from my fellow peers would seem but a distant memory. Luke and I would go our separate ways.

Luke.

"I think I'm already in love."

My words came crashing into my head. I hadn't spoken another word after that, too shocked at the words that left a mouth that hasn't spoken once in five years. As soon as I determined Luke was asleep, I quietly unraveled myself from the tangle of sheets and went to collect myself in the bathroom. My lips were swollen and red from the kiss. Still thinking about it makes them tingle.

Softly, I brushed the tips of my fingers over my lips, remembering the moment they touched with Luke's. He was my first kiss. There was a secret desire in me that didn't want it to be our last kiss. But I was a realist. Luke's lips haven't touched mine since that day. We still hung out every day- he just never brought it up again. We acted as if the kiss never happened. Which, truth be told, was probably a good thing. I was leaving in July, despite my desire to stay in Louisiana and try and grow a relationship with Luke. I didn't want to leave my grandma; I didn't want to leave Adilyn or Asher. My heart wanted to stay and see where things went with Luke. I wanted to see him excel in life. I wanted to see him take custody of Adilyn and Asher and give them a life they all deserved. I wanted to see him smile. I wanted to see the way his lips curved up and showed his simples whenever he smiled. I wanted to take a chance.

But in the end, truthfully, who would ever want a mute freak like me?

Who would ever want damaged goods?

Who could ever love somebody who was broken beyond repair?

Nobody. That's who.

Suddenly, my door opened and my grandma popped her head in. There was a large smile on her wrinkled face with the beginning sprout of unshed tears in her eyes.

"Oh, my sweet, sweet Charlotte. Look how lovely you are." My grandma walked into the room, a large black digital camera in her hand. "Smile for me, dear," I wasn't quick enough as the flash went off, momentarily blinding me. The second the flash went off, I was taken back to the day in that hospital room. When the doctors were taking photos of the bruises and cuts everywhere. I was reminded of how helpless I felt; how vulnerable I was; how absolutely weak and pathetic I must have seemed.

My stomach churned at the memory of Nathan. He wouldn't be graduating because of me. No one believed what happened. At school, I was the girl who silently cried wolf and got the golden boy expelled. It wasn't shocking that nobody believed me.

In any case, I suppose I shouldn't be upset. He didn't rape me. I should consider myself lucky, shouldn't I?

So then why did I still feel the need to look over my shoulder everytime I left the house? Why did the thought of another man's touch make my blood run cold- with the exception of Luke Carter's? Why was I even thinking I had a remote chance with Luke after what happened?