Chapter 5. Another Side

The annoying sound of my grandmother's laughter echoed through the house as Luke and her shared an easy conversation. We were all sat at the dining table with plates of her famous chicken Alfredo. It was delicious, I'd never deny that, but seeing her and my arch enemy interact was unsettling. 

        I knew I couldn't blame her too much though. She hardly talks to anyone and I guess this is sort of refreshing. Seeing her talk and laugh with someone caused happiness to surge through me. So far, Luke was acting okay. He would send me cocky glances, and odd grins every now and then, but not once did I see a dark glint in his eyes. Now that, was unusual. I'm so used to seeing Luke glaring and shouting at me, that I've grown used to it.  To think of it, I've grown used to a lot of things lately.

        "So, do you and Charlie have any classes together?" My grandma asked Luke, shoving a forkful of the pasta into her mouth.

        I tensed up again, my mouth freezing in mid-bite as I waited for Luke's response. I didn't have to look up to know his heated gaze was settled on me. It was weird. I knew he was looking at me. It was as if his gaze was burning holes into the side of my head. 

        Finally, I heard his reply. "A couple." 

        Simple. That's what it was. It was a simple response, with a heavy underlined meaning to it. We didn't just have a couple classes with one another, we had at least five, out of nine, classes together. 

        Surely, he knew that my grandma would scold me and him for not telling her sooner. She must assume that we're close- when we are anything but. There is no way I'm going to get close to him. I won't get close to any one- ever again. 

        As soon as my plate was finished, I finally looked up and gave my grandma a pointed stare. A stare that clearly meant I'm going to my room now. She sighed as I got up. But I ignored it. Rinsing off my plate, I set it in the sink, before nodding curtly at Luke, and bounding up the stairs. 

        I heard them start to chat some more, but I wasn't going to be bothered by it. I wouldn't be bothered by it. I should be happy. Happy for my grandma. Happy that she's enjoying herself. Happy that she's associating with someone other than my mute-self. Happy. I sigh, shaking my head, and pulling back out my unfinished homework. 

        Biology was always a challenge for me. It wasn't like I wanted to take it, but I had to take a science to graduate. I didn't pick chemistry, afraid that I would mess something up and blow up the whole school. I didn't pick physical science honours because I knew it was going to be boring. So, the next thing was biology. It seemed alright- better than other sciences at least. Let's just say... I was wrong. 

        As I was in the middle of the fifth question, I soft knock echoed through my wooden brown door. I didn't say anything, only waited until the door cracked open, and familiar blue eyes gazed at me. I rose my eyebrow at him in questioning. 

        He didn't say anything either, just walked into my room and sat down on my bed. I clenched my jaw at that. Just the hell did he think he was, coming into my house, eating my food, and walking into my room without permission? Granted, I wasn't going to actually tell him to come in, still.

        "So, you really don't speak?" Luke suddenly asked, snapping me from my thoughts. 

        I cocked my head at him. I had thought he knew that, already. As if he read my expression, he bit his lower lip. "I always thought you just didn't want to talk. Then, when your grandma told me you were mute, I sort of didn't believe it," he confessed.