Chapter 3. Out of the Ordinary

Warning: Swearing in this chapter

Edited by @Dragon_Shield

"Watch where you're going, freak!" Someone shouted from behind me, when I accidentally bumped into them. I didn't say anything, only sighed out loud.

Yesterday had been fun. The most fun I've had in awhile. We had done exactly what she said we'd do: First, we got our hair and nails done at noon. She got her nails painted a dark shade of purple, while I just got a clear coating over mine. It was a little awkward at first, seeming as the person doing your hair or nails will attempt to strike up a conversation. So, when the girl tried to talk to me, I had kept my lips sealed and let my eyes steer towards the bare window that was in front of me. After a few more failed attempts to talk to me, my grandmother told her that I didn't speak. Thankfully, she didn't ask questions and settled on talking to her co-workers.

After that, we headed to a small café called Sweetwaters Coffee and Tea. A middle-aged couple owned the place and grandma and I were surprised at the fast customer service. As soon as we heavily tipped the couple, we headed off for the movie, Veronica Mars, that we missed. I loved the movie. It was filled with the right amount of suspense that kept me on my toes the entire movie. My grandma even enjoyed the movie. And that was something, coming from a woman who was never a fan about new action movies. She was more of a hopeless romantic, when she was younger.

I remember when she would read to me all of the old-fashioned chick-flicks. I was at least ten years old, and it had been two years before the tragic day had happened. Every night, she would read me another chapter of those hopeless romantic chick-flick books she has on her bookshelf. I remember cuddling up with my bear at night, as the two other most closest to me would sleep next door, and daydream about my prince charming.

Except, it was after the incident happened, that I turned down any chance of love, besides my grandmother's. I know one day, that God will need her for something else, and then everyone I ever learned to love will truly be gone. Of course, it'll be a heartbreaking moment, and it'll feel as if I'm reliving the past all over again, but I just have to keep in mind that she will be needed for something else. She won't have to live in misery and pain anymore. She'll be reunited with those we both lost that day. The only regret I know she'll have, is leaving me to fend for myself.

I'm not stupid. I know that once she dies, I'll be put into an orphanage of some sort until I turn eighteen and am forced out. That is, if she passes away in the next six months. In six months, on July fifth, I'll finally be an adult.

As of right now, I was in the bitter cold of February, with five days left until March. Exams were coming in May, and that meant that I would soon be focusing on nothing but studying for them. I hadn't the slightest clue as to what I wanted to be, but I did always find psychology interesting. I didn't want to be a psychologist, but that didn't mean I couldn't become another type of psychologist. I had to at least think of some sort of career I may want. otherwise, all of my studying and good grades will be for nothing. As soon as I graduated, I told myself I was leaving this place. I was leaving the old state of Louisiana and moving to Colorado, the state where the two people I loved the most, met. I had never been to Colorado, but I knew it was where they met. It was where their love story began.

I shook my head rapidly, ridding the thoughts of them. I was at school, and I refused to show any signs of weakness in front of those who torment me day by day.

As I walked down the hall of my AP Calculus class, I freeze when I hear a familiar voice. I know I shouldn't. I know it's bad and I should just keep walking, but I decide to press my body against the wall, and listen to the two voices just around the corner.