Chapter 15. The Beginning of the Nightmare

"Charlie, is that you, dear?" I heard my grandma call from somewhere in the kitchen. I set down my bag and strolled through the kitchen. Careful to avoid eye contact with her. From the warmth in my cheeks and the slightly blurry vision even I knew that I still looked a little shaken up.

My hands went to sought out the blade on their own accord. The feel of it still made my insides turn to mush, but I pushed it to the back of my mind. Luke Carter had given me this to keep. I still wasn't sure what his motive was, but I'll be damned if I test my luck, again.

"You alright, darlin?"

I flashed her a quick smile; one I hoped she wouldn't see through.

She shrugged. "I'm gonna order pizza tonight. How's that sound? We haven't had that in ages. And I am just craving one of Pizza Hut's pepperoni pizza's." Her voice was light and carefree.

A small frown began to take place but I rid of it as soon as I could. It was better to make the most of the time I had with her now.

So, I put on my own smile and nodded my head.

Happy memories, Char. Happy memories.

* * *

I combed my fingers through my hair, trying to untangle the knots while doing a calculus problem from the bored. Three. I had a little less than three months of school left and all would be right in the world.

Luke had still been taking me over to visit with Adilyn. Bless the girl's heart for always having a smile on her face. Each and every time I visited with her she gave me new hope in life.

Adilyn was the type of girl to smile on the worst of days and still tell you it was going to be alright. It was weird, considering she was so young, but refreshing all the more. Adilyn absolutely loved to play princess and I found she had a passion for learning anything new. Whenever I was doing my homework she'd always point to a problem with so much confusion in her eyes. All I could do was show her how to work out the problem- even though I was certain she still wouldn't understand. She would nod her head with this dazed look and just walk back over to her coloring book. She didn't have much homework but the few days she did I would help as best as I could. I'd point to the alphabet everyday and make her sing it to me because I found she learned better with music. It was something I would need Luke to understand soon when I was gone. Nonetheless, Adilyn had a special place in my heart from the moment I met the little one.

Asher even got used to my presence. He still didn't like me, but he didn't make any comments towards me. The only thing he hadn't stopped doing was calling me 'Blondie.' It used to annoy the hell out of me, but now it doesn't even surprise me.

However, the main source of my confusion is the fact that I have never even seen either one of their parents. Adilyn only ever mentions their mother once in awhile but neither one of them even remotely said anything about their father except for the first day that I was there and Luke told me that his dad was out.

It seemed to be more clear that no one really liked their father and Adilyn was the only one who still cared about her mother.

I shook my head, dropping my pencil to take a deep inhale. Headaches have gotten worse recently. I've found it harder to concentrate and even my teachers are growing concerned. I put rested my head atop of my hands and closed my eyes. Hoping that the headache would leave soon.

It didn't.

So after a few moments I simply blinked my eyes and attempted the problem again. This time, putting my full attention and focus into it.