Chapter 19: Don't Kiss and Tell

NOT EDITED

Months flew by like birds soaring through the sky. All charges against Nathan were dropped. I refused to speak and there was no real evidence that he and a group of friends attacked me. I had thought that I scratched enough skin to be lodged under my fingernails that would ultimately lead to his undoing, but as it turns out, it wasn't his skin that had been under my nails- but my own. When they told me Nathan was let out of his cell and sent home my heart dropped as an uneasy feeling settled in my stomach. I felt disgusted with myself. I felt dirty and used even though I knew Nathan hadn't gone totally through with his sick plan.

From than on, Luke and his siblings had been visiting a lot more lately. Because of the whole scandal, the school expelled Nahan Coleman and I hadn't seen him since. Luke was hell bent on rage since the court dropped the charges but I still couldn't bring myself to be enraged quite yet.

There was but a month of school left now and I had grown impeccably closer to Luke. Graduation was but a few weeks away for Luke and I. Despite all that Luke and I had dealt with, we still got our stuff turned in for school. But I figured we both forgot this was our last year of high school. I couldn't help but to feel sadness overcome my soul.

I haven't told anyone yet, but I had gotten accepted to a college in Colorado. The only college I applied for back in the beginning of the year. I got the letter a few days ago, before my grandmother came home. I almost forgot all about college until I received that letter. The college said they were offering me a full scholarship that would cover all my costs as long as I got there by next fall. I knew I couldn't turn them down. I simply couldn't. I didn't know how I was going to break the news to grandma yet, but I'd think of something soon I was sure of.

Just than, my door opened as Luke walked in with a smile. His face free of any and all creases of worry. He didn't have to say anything for me to understand he merely wanted to keep an eye on me. I knew he was worried about Nathan. Pretty much everyone one was. It was unspoken. Silent. Yet, body language told more the words ever would. Everyone was afraid Nathan would come back to finish what he started. As much as I hate to admit it, I was terrified of the prospect of running into Nathan again with nothing on me. Whenever I went out, Luke made me take the knife he gave that he gave me a while ago with me. By now, it had become second nature having a thin blade with me, hidden in the junk of my purse. I couldn't say I felt better with it, but I did feel a little safer having something on me. It was better than nothing at all.

"Hey," Luke didn't stop smiling, his dimples on display for the world to see. For a moment, I was stunned. Caught off guard as I gazed at his face. Almost like he was invincible; like nothing in the world could stop him if he put his mind to it.

I glanced at his neck, the collar trying but failing, to cover the fading bruises around his neck. Lately, Luke Carter had been happier. He smiled more. Laughed more. Came over with little Addy and Asher more. It was like a switch went off or something because I hadn't seen one frown mar his face since last week.

I smiled at him, my heart a heavy stone in my chest. Though the bruises were fading and it looked like he was okay, my mind could never stop wandering to the hell hole that was his house where his father lived with them. He never uttered a word about to me. And it broke my heart. I knew someone was hurting them and it hurt like hell that all I could do was sit back and watch- unable to do anything to help. I was useless.

Slowly, I managed a small smile of my own at him.

Luke draped his arm over me, leaning his head on my shoulder. "Can you believe Char? We have three more weeks and we're outta this hell hole we call school," his voice was muffled against my shoulder but I heard him clearly. "So," he popped his head up, suddenly grabbing my hand in his and yanking my up off my head. I crashed into his stone chest and glared. Christ, what does he eat for breakfast? Rocks? I thought as I rubbed my head slowly to dull the vibrating pain.