Chapter 13. Playing Princess

HEY Y'ALL! JUST ONE LITTLE THING TO ASK. IF Y'ALL COULD KINDLY GO TO Frances_sahira AND READ Bed of Lies BY HER THAT WOULD MEAN THE WORLD TO HER! SO FAR I BELIEVE IT'S AN AMAZING BOOK THAT SHOULD DEFINITELY HAVE MORE CREDIT AND FANS AND READS! THANK YOU AND I HOPE YOU LIKE THIS CHAPTER. I LOVED WRITING THIS ONE! 

I had went on the rest of the day with my head in the clouds; completely oblivious to my surroundings. I was still so confused as to Luke's attitude towards me. Is he bipolar? He has to be bipolar with the whiplash of emotions and mixed feelings he sets off.

One minute, he's cruel, the next he's trying to defend me, another he's crying on my shoulder! I shook my head violently. Why the hell was he taking a sudden interest in me?

"I'm only doing it because I can't stand failing my sister again."

The words echoed in my head for a bit, bouncing around until they began to sink in. He had already failed his sister once, he wasn't going to do it again.

Restlessness began to seep into my bones, and too many questions had swarmed my frantic brain. There was a whole mystery to Luke Carter. The aura he had always held a peculiar and questioning air to him. Luke's confident stride brought forth the notion that he was a self-assured and level-headed guy. The nonexistent smile that was plastered to his face told everyone that he was a guy not to be messed with. There were no laugh crinkles edging around his eyes- even old ones- and the constant clench of his fists was a tell-tale sign that he was always ready for a fight if one were to break out.

Luke Carter was the Golden Boy of the school, but even I knew that that wasn't the case now. Especially with how much more I learned about him. The bruising on his wrist has dulled and the cuts and bruises on his face were gone. Weird, considering that they were made not too long ago.

"Come on," a hand shot out and grasped onto my arm.

I flinched and pulled away immediately. If looks could kill, Luke would be six feet under. The skin that was grabbed burned and I felt ripples of electricity shoot through it. I shook my hand in an attempt to shake off the feeling. It didn't go away.

Luke shrugged, his golden strands falling into his eyes. "Come on," he said again, walking ahead of me to his car.

Asshole. I glared at his back.

Pretty soon, we were in front of a rusty-looking car with the paint fading a light beige color. Other than the rust and the run-down, scrawny look it gave off, everything else was fine. No cracks in the windshield or mirror. No flat tires. No dents in the body of it. Just a run-down look.

I shrugged and got into the passenger side when he unlocked the doors.

"Buckle up," he demanded, pulling out of the parking lot. With a roll of my eyes, I buckled my seatbelt and sat back, glancing out of my window.

The whole ride was driven in silence. Not once did he look at me or even acknowledge my presence in the car. I understood that I wasn't going to talk to him but the least he could was say 'hi' or something to ease the tension in the air.

Finally, we pulled up to an equally worn down, one-story house that had green patches of vines growing on the side of the house. The white paint was wearing down, one of the windows were cracked and another window had a hole in it, but was covered with what looked to be a wooden block on the inside. The yard was as bad as the outside of the house, if not worse. There was hardly any grass on the ground. And the patches that did have grass were dead and I'm sure the grass would be wearing away until the yard was completely filled with dirt. The driveway was full of gravel rocks and there was nothing to note that any life lived here at all. No bicycles to indicate that Adilyn had one and joyfully played outside with it. No kick balls or skates or anything to tell that this was the house of three children and two parents. There wasn't another car in the gravel driveway, which led me to believe that either a parent was at work or their work was in walking distance. Given the scenery of the car, the house, and the yard I doubted they had enough to afford another car so that must mean they have a job in walking distance.