Chapter 39

The towering hedges cast black shadows across the path, and, whether because they were so tall and thick or because they had been enchanted, the sound of the surrounding crowd was silenced the moment I entered the maze. I pulled out his wand, muttered, "Lumos."

After about fifty yards, I reached a fork. I took a long look at both routes before taking the right.

I heard Bagman's whistle for the second time. Harry and Cedric had entered the maze. I sped up. My chosen path seemed completely deserted. I turned right, and hurried on, holding my wand high over my head, trying to see as far ahead as possible. Still, there was nothing in sight.

Bagman's whistle blew in the distance for the third time. Krum was in the game.

The maze was growing darker with every passing minute as the sky overhead deepened to navy. I reached a second fork.

"Point Me," I whispered to my wand, holding it flat in my palm.

The wand spun around once and pointed toward straight ahead, into solid hedge. That way was north. Oh great.

Well I had to choose left or right, then try to turn and head straight ahead. Was it going to be that easy? Well, if I go one way, I could go around then come back and go straight ahead. So I decided to go left, I ran around the corner and then took the next right before slipping and falling to the floor.

What was that?

In front of me was a massive pond stretching across the whole path. Just then a small creature popped out, I took a good look at it before it went back under the water. It was like a monkey which had been covered in scales with webbed hands and feet.

This was a Kappa, Blaise had given me a whole book of creatures that could be a threat to me in the tasks, this fell under the second task research as it was underwater.

I have to be smart here, if I enter the pond it will strangle me. But something tells me I have to pass, that the route ahead is the one I have to take.

I had an idea, I created myself a small platform on the water and stood on it. This would, most likely, allow me to sail across unharmed. That's the general theory anyway, if it will work is unknown.

So after creating my raft I started to sail across when the creature inside pushed me into the water and started to strangle me. I tried gasping for air, but I was underwater and my wind pipes being crushed.

But I couldn't give up. I'd forgotten totally how to successfully kill a Kappa but I was going to attack the little thing until he died. I took my wand and started shooting random spells until one knocked him off me, I got my head above the water and started to breathe. I took one look at the Kappa before the thing exploded.

Oh right, dark magic.

I carried on and headed to the right, that would set me back on track. I turned to see a massive Blast-Ended Skrewt! I turned to my side and saw Cedric there fighting one and failing.

I turned to the one he was fighting and shouted at the top of my lungs the Backfiring Jinx at the underpart of it, the Skrewt flew off and exploded. Cedric turned to me and I ran to him, grabbing his arm sleeve and dragging him off as we started to get chased by another Skrewt.

"Thank you Minnie." Cedric breathed, "I was about to shoot sparks up."

"Don't mention it. Come on." I said as we started to run again then we were hit by a beam of light. "Harry." I said running over and giving him a hug. "I found Cedric being attack by Hagrid's Blast-Ended Skrewts. I'm so glad your safe." Hey if he is my brother then I'm looking out for him.