Chapter 27

I ran up to the Owlery. And listened at the door as I heard talking.

"There's no way any of the other tasks are going to be that dangerous, how could they be? You know what? I reckon you could win this tournament, Harry, I'm serious. You just might have to murder Melissa." I walked in.

"Sounds fun since a dragon can't burn me! And you obviously haven't been down the back ally's of Oxford, dragon seems like a piece of cake compared to that."

"Harry and Melissa have got a long way to go before the they finish this tournament," Hermione said seriously. "If that was the first task, I hate to think what's coming next."

"Right little ray of sunshine, aren't you?" said Ron. "You and Professor Trelawney should get together sometime."

"She's creepy. Says I'm a dark person! WTF does that mean?!" I said tying my prewritten letter to Rosabelle.

"WTF?" Ron asked.

"Slang speak. I'll tell you later Ron." Hermione said patting his shoulder.

Ron threw his owl, Pigwidgeon, out of the window. He plummeted twelve feet before managing to pull himself back up again.

"Well, we'd better get downstairs for your surprise party, Harry - Fred and George should have nicked enough food from the kitchens by now. Coming Melissa?"

"Nah, the Slytherins have arranged a party for me. If its anything like the last one I'll hope to see you next week. See ya." I skipped away and down to the dungeons. I met Pansy and, for some reason, JJ in the corridor.

"Hey, ready to party?" Pansy asked.

"Well, I'm dreading it as I might not remember anything. But let's go!" We walked to their portrait hole and said the password.

As soon as the portrait opened I saw an explosion of colour! There were signs, food, sparkling lights everywhere, loud music, cheering people!

Everyone pulled me along and said congratulations. I couldn't even sit down.

Soon I stood up on the table and whistled, the music cut and the room went silent.

"I know it might be cheating but... who wants me to open the egg?" I asked holding it up. Everyone cheered.

"OPEN IT! OPEN IT! OPEN IT!" Everyone started to chant. Then fell silent as it burst open.

It was hollow inside but let off a horrible noise when I opened it. Wailing, screeching, pain. I dropped it on the floor and covered my ears... JJ was dancing to it.

Pansy shut the egg. "What was that?!"

"That was awesome music." JJ joked picking it up.

"It sounds like something in pain, someone being strangled. Maybe you have to fight some crazy guy off." Some 5th year said.

"I did that a few days ago." I said.

"Oh yeah, to easy for you then." He said.

"It sounded a bit like a banshee. Maybe you have to fight one of them."

"It sounded a bit like a mermaid out of water and it's dying. But it's not like there gonna do that. Watching a mermaid die." Blaise joked.

"Wait, Blaise... what did you just say?" I asked putting the egg on the table and jumping off it.

"Watching a mermaid die." He said in confusion.

"Before that." I said pulling my wand out my pocket.

"It sounded like a mermaid out of water." He said. I thought about it for a bit.

"No, it's probably not right. I was thinking of something else." The party resumed.

XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX

The party ended about one in the morning, but I dragged JJ and Pansy to the boys room and ask the Wonder twins to stand guard outside.

We sat in a circle and I placed the egg in the middle.

"What's up?" Draco asked with JJ on his lap, she was very sleepy.

"I think Blaise was right. But I wasn't going to say it on front of everyone." I admitted.

"Wait, you think it's a mermaid?" JJ asked suddenly becoming wide awake.

"Think about it, it's screeching. All we need to do is send water at it, if it changes we know Blaise was right. If its wrong then we're back to stage one?" We all pulled out our wands, I opened the egg and we shot water at it. Instead of screeching... it sang.

"Come seek us where our voices sound,

We cannot sing above the ground,

And while you're searching, ponder this:

We've taken what you'll sorely miss,

An hour long you'll have to look,

And to recover what we took,

But past an hour - the prospect's black

Too late, it's gone, it won't come back." The egg shut and we stopped firing the spell.

"You need to find something mermaids have taken. And you have an hour to do it. Simple." JJ said happily.

"Yes JJ, breathing underwater for an hour won't be hard." Pansy said. We heard a bang on the door and a tall, skinny, blonde girl walked in. Her face resembled a camel.

"Thought I'd find you here." She snapped looking at us. JJ stood up and sat next to me. "What are you doing here Jasmine-Jinx?"

"I was invited here." JJ said grabbing my hand. "And it's JJ."

"For God sake Jasmine-Jinx, use the name mother gave you. You've already brought shame to the family by being a stupid Gryffindor." She snapped.

"Hey, being a Gryffindor isn't that bad!" I snapped.

"And we don't care she's a Gryffindor Nevada." Pansy said

"Stay out of this Pretty Miss Princess and Pugface, this is between me and my god forsaken sister." Next thing I know, there was a explosion and the girl was thrown back to the wall with a massive crash and fungi was growing on her skin.

"Nobody insults my friends." JJ hissed.

"I knew you said your good at dark arts Sunny, but I didn't think you were this good." Draco said as we all stood up.

"Remind me to never get on your bad side JJ." Blaise said patting her head.

"Well, I've been wanting to do that to her for years. I really do hate my sister." JJ said honestly.