Chapter 19

I don't believe it!" Weasley said, in a stunned voice, as the Hogwarts students filed back up the steps behind the party from Durmstrang. "Krum, Harry! Viktor Krum!"

"For heaven's sake, Ron, he's only a Quidditch player," said Granger.

"Only a Quidditch player?" Weasley said, looking at her as though he couldn't believe his ears. "Hermione - he's one of the best Seekers in the world! I had no idea he was still at school!"

Several sixth-year girls were frantically searching their pockets as they walked.

"Oh I don't believe it, I haven't got a single quill on me -"

"D'you think he'd sign my hat in lipstick?"

"Really," JJ said loftily as we passed the girls, now squabbling over the lipstick.

"I'm getting his autograph if I can," said Weasley. "You haven't got a quill, have you, Harry?"

"Nope, they're upstairs in my bag," said Harry.

We walked over to the Gryffindor table and sat down. Weasley took care to sit on the side facing the doorway, because Viktor and his fellow Durmstrang students were still gathered around it, apparently unsure about where they should sit.

The students from Beauxbatons had chosen seats at the Ravenclaw table. They were looking around the Great Hall with glum expressions on their faces. Three of them were still clutching scarves and shawls around their heads.

"It's not that cold," said Granger defensively. "Why didn't they bring cloaks?"

"Over here! Come and sit over here!" Weasley hissed. "Over here! Hermione, budge up, make a space -"

"What?"

"Too late," said Weasley bitterly.

Viktor and his fellow Durmstrang students had settled themselves at the Slytherin table. I could see Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle looked very smug about this. As I watched, Draco bent forward to speak to Viktor.

"Yeah, that's right, smarm up to him, Malfoy," said Weasley scathingly. "I bet Krum can see right through him, though...bet he gets people fawning over him all the time....Where d'you reckon they're going to sleep? We could offer him a space in our dormitory, Harry...I wouldn't mind giving him my bed, I could kip on a camp bed."

Granger snorted. With good reason to be honest.

"They look a lot happier than the Beauxbatons lot," said Harry.

The Durmstrang students were pulling off their heavy furs and looking up at the starry black ceiling with expressions of interest; a couple of them were picking up the golden plates and goblets and examining them, apparently impressed.

Up at the staff table, Filch, the caretaker, was adding chairs. He was wearing his moldy old tailcoat in honor of the occasion. I was surprised to see that he added four chairs, two on either side of Dumbledore's.

"But there are only two extra people," Harry said. "Why's Filch putting out four chairs, who else is coming?"

"Eh?" said Weasley vaguely. He was still staring avidly at Viktor.

When all the students had entered the Hall and settled down at their House tables, the staff entered, filing up to the top table and taking their seats. Last in line were Professor Dumbledore, Professor Karkaroff, and Madame Maxime. When their headmistress appeared, the pupils from Beauxbatons leapt to their feet.