Chapter Thirty-Nine

Melisendre was sitting in the cold damp cell, just where Violet left her. Her dark red hair fell into her pale face and her gaudy dress ripped in multiple places. Violet hated having to ask this woman for anything, help being the last thing on her mind. But what choice did she have? If there was the slightest chance that she could bring Jon back to her, Violet couldn't pass that opportunity up.

"Am I to die now?" Melisendre asked, her voice hoarse. Violet wished she could say yes. She would love to watch the woman who tried to burn her alive die by her hand. But she knew in her heart that had Melisendre never done that, she wouldn't have acquired the army she had now. Which is why her, Selyse Baratheon and her daughter; Shireen were all still alive. 

Violet nodded to her soldier that stood beside her, he quickly opened the gates and pulled the red woman from the ground. Violet said nothing, but could sense the woman's confusion as they made their way to the Lord Commanders chambers, and not into the middle of the courtyard. The three of them piled into the room, a gasp leaving the red woman's throat. 

"What --" 

"Treason." Violet cut her off with a growl. "His brothers murdered him in cold blood." 

"They are gone as well. I can see it in your eyes." Said Melisendre as she glanced deeply into Violet's glistening eyes. 

"As the rightful Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, I sentenced them to death." Violet told her. Her eyes moving to glance as Ghost who was laying beside his Master. 

"But you did so much more." Melisendre stated. 

"The man who passes the sentence should wing the sword." Violet said, grabbing the red woman's arm and guiding her to Jon. "Fortunately for you, Stannis believed something else." 

Violet turned to her adviser that was not very far from her side. "Davos, I don't want false hope that this will work. I can't sit here and wait for something that might never happen. Watch the red woman for me, watch over Jon for me. I'll be with my men, I need to make preparations to sail back to Essos." 

Davos' eyes widened before he nodded quickly. "Yes, Violet. Of course." 

Violet placed a gentle kiss to Jon's head before storming out of his chambers and practically sprinted out of the gates of Castle Black.

~

Violet knew she couldn't stay in Castle Black with Jon gone. She didn't have enough men to take Winterfell, and she definitely didn't have enough men to take Kings Landing. And she didn't want to without Dany. So repairing her ships, stocking them and making sure her soldiers were well fed and trained was the best she could do for now.

Her soldiers obeyed her every command, to hunt, to pack, to sharpen steel. They did whatever was asked of them. And Violet didn't know where the new found confidence to command an army came from, but she welcomed the feeling with open arms. She was not someone who liked to second guess herself. 

Tormund had appeared beside her, not looking very thrilled to see her talking over sail repairs with one of her men. 

"So you're giving up then?" He asked. "You're just going to sail home with your tail between your legs." 

Violet rolled her eyes before standing taller to look the giant in the eye.  "Tormund, I have ten thousand more men across the narrow sea, three dragons, a twin sister, and a lover. If you honestly think I'm going to war with only the two thousand men I have then you are poorly mistaken." Violet stated, pointing her finger into his fur covered chest. 

"My men actually saw something in you! They were willing to follow the crazy silver haired woman who walked out of the fire!" Tormund yelled. 

"They are more than welcome to come to Meereen where it is warmer. I'm coming back Tormund. This is my home, this is my land, and I'll be damned if I let the Lannisters rule over it! Jon was my best friend in the entire world, and losing him ignited something in me that will have me laying waste to anything that stands in our way." 

Violet was ready for Tormund to argue back, say something dirty, or make a joke like he normally did but he looked behind her as if he saw a ghost. Violet frowned and turned around, gasping. Jon was walking towards her slowly, his curly hair tied behind him, his cloak bellowing in the wind, He looked almost like he had the day before. Almost. Jon died, there was bound to be something missing within him.

"Jon." Violet sobbed as he got closer. She still couldn't quite grasp that he was alive, breathing, and standing in front of her. 

She tossed her arms around him and held onto him tightly. His arms clung to her just as tight, She was unknowingly grounding him in this terrifying event. 

"Thank the Gods. I didn't think it would work." She mumbled into his shoulder.

"Next time. Don't bring me back." Jon whispered in her ear. Violet immediately shook her head.

"I can't live in this world without you Jon Snow. And a burning pyre and an act of treason are not the way we are meant to die Jon." She told him fiercely, pulling away to look him in the eye.

Jon smiled and nodded before kissing her head. "Are you going somewhere?" He asked, looking at all the preparations going on around him.

"Not anymore. Not yet anyway." Said Violet. 

She couldn't leave quite yet, not now, now that Jon had been brought back to her she wanted to make sure Castle Black was on sturdy ground before she made any big moves. 

Unfortunately for Violet, she wasn't the only one making plans. Moves were being made against her sister at that same moment. And even bigger threats were looming even closer than her or Jon had even realized.