Chapter Twenty-Two

Dany should have been celebrating, she should have been the happiest in that moment, she had liberated thousands of slaves that now followed behind her -- but she wasn't. She was worried for her twin that slowly followed along, getting lost in the crowds of soldiers and former slaves.

A raven had arrived for Violet earlier that morning, and since she read it nothing within her sister had been the same.

" Robb & Catelynn Stark are dead. They were betrayed by the Lannisters at Robb Starks wedding."

That was all the message said, and since reading those words Violet had completely shut down. She stoically rode her horse, and ignored all those that tried to converse with her. Dany couldn't tell what was running through her head, but if she was correct in her thoughts she feared the worse -- that Violet would leave Essos on a hunt for revenge.

Daario havent wandered far from her side, even when she ignored him, he kept his pace only steps behind her. Rhael could even be heard screeching unhappily from the skies.

"Should we do something my lady?" Ser Barristan asked from Dany's left. He nodded his head towards violet who was glaring heavily off into the distance.

"Nothing to do but let her grieve." Said Ser Jorah.

"The Starks were her family, and my sisters not one for emotions. I think she's planning something." Dany told them, once again turning around to check on her sister. "But we're coming upon Meereen, I'll have to speak with her later." She sighed as she could see the great pyramid of Meereen in the distance.

~

Violet went through every emotion she could think of in the shortest span of time -- confusion, heartbreak, sadness and finally one emotion set in and hadn't left -- anger.

It seemed betrayal was what was taking the people she called family, one after the other. The Starks were scattered to the winds and she hadn't a clue where most of them were. But if the Lannisters had their sights on murdering them all, how long until Rickon and Sansa and Arya were next? How long until someone decided even the bastard Jon was worth killing? Violet wasn't in Westeros and there wasn't a thing she could do....not now anyway.

She knew her sister needed her, she knew her sister needed her to conquer the cities in Essos. And she would be nowhere else but by Danys side when she took back the iron throne. But what would kind of place would they be ruling with the Lannisters in control? What kind of terrible things would they continue to do until they could take back their county for their own? Violet knew a choice was going to be forced into her hand sooner or later, and she wasn't sure what she would be able to do.

Stay with her sister to help build her army? Or cross the narrow sea to assure a country was still standing when they got there?

Violet could see the great pyramid of Meereen getting larger and larger the closer they got, and after months on the road it felt like relief to finally have arrived. But their welcome was not a friendly one.

Meereen was hidden behind high walls and closed gates. The people and their guards stood among ramparts and watched as the two Targaryen sisters and their impressive armies slowly ascended onto their gates.

Violet plopped off her horse and whistled loudly for Rhael to go hunt, Viserion and Drogon followed after him. She walked slowly to stand by her sister, but said nothing as everyone kept their eyes on her.

"Are you alright?" Daario whispered, placing a hand on her back -- she ignored him as well.

"What's this?" Dany asked as a single rider exited the gates of Meereen. He started shouting in a foreign language that Violet did not understand, but knew her sister and Missandei clearly did.

"I have something I would like to say to the people of Meereen, but first I will need this one to be quiet." Dany said motioning to the man who was drunkely flailing around.

"It's tradition, you must defeat their champion." Ser Jorah said.

"Well do I have any takers?" Dany asked, looking around at her comrades.

"It would be my honor, your grace." Ser Barristan bowed. Dany shook her head.

"You are one of my most trusted advisors and dearest friends, I will not gamble with your life." She told him.

"I've been by your side longer than anyone Khaleesi." Said Jorah. "And that is why you must stay by my side," Dany said giving his arms gentle squeeze.

"I would lov--" Daario began, but was cut off my Violet.

"I'm doing it." She said emotionlessly.

"No!" Dany and Daario exclaimed at once. "Sister, I can't not risk your life just for this man." Dany told her, placing a hand on her shoulder which Violet shrugged off.

"I can cut through this idiot like carving a cake, it's more a risk to let me go take a piss in the dark." Violet said pulling out her sword. "If you don't want to watch, I suppose you shut your eyes."

She walked through the sand, swinging Beast through the air -- her Valyrian sword swinging against her hip. The man charged towards her, barreling through the sand on his stallion. Violet stood her ground and just as the horse was starting to pass her, she lunged and pulled herself quickly up onto the back just behind the man. He was so confused he didn't have time to react before Violet sliced through his neck all the way to the bone and tossed his head aside.

She quickly leaped off the horse, rolling through the sand before standing before her sister. She smiled gently, the first time she smiled all day. "You should trust me more, I've seen more battle than all the Unsullied combined. If you want someone dead you should let me do it, you're always in for a good show." Violet scoffed before sheathing her sword and mounting her horse. She couldn't understand what her sister was bound to tell the crowd, and they couldn't conquer the city until the next day so she felt no need to stick around -- so she left.

She rode around the opening in the mountains until she could no longer see the city, but the large Unsullied army still remained within sight.

"It's not nice to try and sneak up on people you know." Violet said, knowing who was behind her.

"I wasn't trying to be sneaky, I just wanted to make sure you're okay." Daario said, dismounting his own horse before walking over to her. She had dismounted and tied her horse to a log that was sitting beside her.

"I wish you would quit asking me that," She sighed, pulling out Beast so she could clean it.

In the months that followed their intimate moment on the beach all those months ago, Daario and Violet had grown increasingly closer. But just as she had always done, she began pulling away from the people she cared about when anger clouded her judgment.

Daario reached over and pulled Beast out her hands and set it gently beside her before kneeling down before her. He reached up and cupped her face with one of his large hands, and ran the other one gently up and down her thigh. "You don't need to pull away from me." He whispered.

"It's what I do."She told him, reaching down and placing her hand atop the one that was toying with her leg. "I'm not good at talking about feelings, I'm not one for talking at all really."

"I've gathered as much." Daario chuckled. "But just like your sister, when you decide to open your mouth the world trembles. You both are the epitomy of fire and blood and I fear for the enemies who stand in your way."

"I want them dead, The Lannisters. I want them all dead." Violet said looking at Daario with fire in her eyes.

"And you will give that to them when the time comes, and when you do I would love to watch. I've never seen anyone make death look so beautiful."

Violet chuckled at his statement. "You're very strange." She mumbled before squeezing his hand.

"You tell me all the time, Love." He said before caressing her cheek and kissing her deeply. She moaned slightly before kissing back, throwing her arms around his neck. Had an army not been standing ten feet away she would have gladly took him right there once more. But somewhere inside of her she knew, Daario didn't care.

When the sun finally started to set, and Violet and Daario joined her sister once more -- Violet had one thought running through her head... who had been sending her this information for all these years?