Chapter Fifty-Nine

She couldn't see them, but she could feel them. She could feel the dark cloud of death as it clung to the air, waiting to appear at it's most terrifying moment. The mist rolled in, bringing with it the the unfamiliarity of an enemy she could not see. She could see Jon and the others beside her, and could sense Rhael's restlessness as he hovered in the clouds, unable to find them.

The night king brought with him a new strategy, something even the battle hardened warriors were unprepared for.

It came suddenly, and silently. Like a ghostly adumbration brought by the wind. They were surrounded on all sides, the telltale growls of the white walkers echoing around them.

"If I die in a fucking cloud, I'll kill you." Tormund growled, waving his broadsword through the air narrowly missing the side of Oberyns head.

"Now might be the time to bring in your friend up there." Said Oberyn.

"Rhael can't see us, he could very well cook all of you by accident." Violet replied.

"I'm willing to take that chance right now." Jon said, slicing at two wights who broke though the mist.

"Oh seven hells." She grunted, attacking the hoards that were incoming. She whistled for Rhael, who gave them some coverage by flame.

 She looked to see Bran's eyes had gone pure white, and his head started twitching in a way that was very  familiar to them. A moment later, Rhael landed beside them, his eyes glazed over much like Brans.

"Did you really just warg into my dragon?" She asked, cutting through the undead masses headed right for him. Rhael continued burning anything that came near them, leaving Violet no choice but to protect Bran who refused to answer her. 

They continued on fighting the masses that poured through the mist, dodging the bodies covered in flames. They had no plan, and Violet was terrified for her friends and her dragon that were more exposed than they should have been. 

"Fuck!" Tormund shouted, taking a claw to the shoulder. Jon was quick in killing the wight who snuck up behind him. 

"We need to do something, or we're all fucked!" Jon cried out. Violet knew he was right, and did the only thing she could think of — she mounted Rhael.

"Protect Bran, I have to find the night king and end this." She shouted, feeling the unfamiliar sensation of Rhael not fully responding to her whistles but somehow understanding what needed to be done. "Bran, you better not get us killed for this." She mumbled into Rhael's ear. 

Her large green dragon took to the skies, flying up above the foggy mist that had surrounded them. She could see nothing, but knew Bran had some connection to the night king and would guide them forward. 

Since receiving Rhael from her sister they had a bond — a connection. And at that moment it was like they were two separate beings, it was an unnerving sensation that she longed to get rid of. She tried to fly right, Rhael went left. She whistled for dragon fire and the dragon shook his head. It was like commanding an unruly child, and Violet could do nothing but wait. 

She could feel the warmth beneath her, the sensation of dragon fire brewing in Rhael's throat. He released it a moment later, and she could finally grab a sight of the ground beneath them. White walkers who had caught fire were falling to the ground, and she could see her friends had created a wall around Bran and were doing their best to hold them off. 

"I don't think we have much time, Bran." Violet mumbled, gripping on to dragons large green scales tighter than normal. Rhael would have sensed her worry, the anxiousness within her. Bran's connection with her dragon severed that, and it was like she had lost that extension of herself.