Ten: Meeting the Bodyguard

Damn it. What year did Christopher Columbus invade the Americas again? Stupid American history! Why didn't I study!?

Sighing quietly, I realize I'm running out of time and I start BSing the whole thing instead. Stupid pop quizzes.

I definitely should take this "studying" thing seriously next time.

When the test is over I'm the last one out the door. I try to gather my things as quickly as I can since Cana and Levy are waiting for me.

"I failed that test like a boss!" I announce as I get out the door and we start walking.

Levy says, "Eh? I thought you've been serious about your studies, Miss Beast?"

I shrug. "This time I guess I wasn't."

An obnoxious voice rings in my ear as he saunters on by. "Slackerrrr."

I blow out a breath in annoyance. Why is his class right next to mine? "Take a walk, Eucliffe."

He salutes to me and keeps walking. "In more ways than one."

"My team could take yours so shut your mouth!" I yell after him.

Rogue is standing at the end of the hallway, and Sting walks up to him. Oh yeah, I just had class with him too!!

They're leaving, I realize. "Oh. See you Rogue!" I yell, making students jolt a little as they mind their business by keeping walking.

I find it funny how the traffic of students walk around us like water running over a rock in a river. It's like there's a force field separating us from them as they walk.

Still can't believe those two are friends. Polar opposites.

I stare at Sting. People who are both smart and athletic always baffle me. How do they have time for both? Erza, for example. She's exceptionally smart, strong, and beautiful. Same with Sting. I won't ever, not for my life, admit that though.

"I was stuck on the first question. That's always the ice breaker. Don't know the first question, ultimate failure."

"Well, what was it?"

"What year Columbus invaded the Americas," I say.

"You mean... discover?" Levy asks.

"Nope." I know it's annoying but I pop the P.

"That's so easy though," says Cana.

"1492 Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue," Levy says.

"Tch. Not like he's some hero anyway," I say.

1492. Why did I forget that?

As we walk I see a bright blue head catch my eye and I turn my head as he walks by "Hey Jellal. How was the test?"

"Pretty basic," he answers.

"Of course you say that," I say. "Then again I guess you're here for a reason other than your... income."

"Thanks." He doesn't seem to know what to say other than that. I will admit it was kind of a backhanded compliment. "Hey, can you cover my shift next Tuesday?" he asks.

"Um..." I narrow my eyes to think if I have anything planned that day. "Sure. I owe you one anyway, right?"

"Right." He smiles at me. "See you Lucy." He starts to turn but bumps into Erza.