Chapter Thirty-One: Sour Kiss

Can I kiss you? Ben’s words repeated in my head as his lips got closer, soon I found my eyes fluttering shut as well. His hand was gripping the left side of my face, as our lips brushed before I heard a beeping sound coming from a monitor.

“Sorry,” Ben whispered.

I opened my eyes and saw his cheeks tinted pink, I looked over at the monitor and noticed that beeping noise was his heart rate. I chuckled, “Its fine.”

He nodded his head, “Is it too late for me to kiss you or did my heart ruin the mood?”

I snorted as I shifted on the bed, “No it didn’t ruin the mood. But if you want you can still kiss me…” I said my attempt of trying to be causal yet flirty.

Ben’s eyebrows raised as he tried this again, leaning over and grabbing my face with his good hand, “Alice?”

“Yeah?” I said quietly, looking into his hazel eyes.

“Can I kiss you?” He asked his eyes focused on my lips.

Once again I heard the sound of the monitor, I ignored it. I looked at Ben’s hazel eyes which were pleading for me to say yes, “Just kiss me already.” I said grabbing his face and crushing his lips onto mine.

Ben must’ve seen surprised because he didn’t react as quickly as I thought. I moved my lips against his, as he began to do the same. So many thoughts were running through my head, but I pushed them aside as I let Ben’s warm lips move with mine. It was my first kiss, and it felt weird that I was doing this with my best friends ex. I felt guilty as I tried to push the last thought away from my mind, but I couldn’t.

“Ben!” I heard someone scream, the sound of the door opening. “Ew, gross.” We pulled away as we looked at the door to see a horrified Thomas hands clamped over his eyes, behind him was Ben’s father.

I got up from the bed, dusting the imaginary dirt of my skirt as my eyes darted all around the room, it was silent for a few moments before we heard the sound of Ben’s heart monitor.

I blushed furiously, “Well it looks like someone is getting better.” Ben’s father said.

“Y-yea,” Ben said clearing his throat. “Yeah, I am feeling a lot better.”

“I wonder why,” He said looking at the two of us, smug.

“Are they done?” Thomas asked looking behind him even though his hands were still covering his eyes.

“Yes, you can stop doing that now,” I said snapping at him.

What was the big deal like it wasn’t that he walked into something even worse. “Well I am sorry if I didn’t want to see my sister and her friend locking lips. No ten year old wants to see that,” Thomas said shuddering.

“And no one wants to see you use the bathroom with the door wide open, but I guess we all have to see things we don’t want to see.” I retorted back at him.

The room was silent, we soon heard chuckles coming from Ben’s father we all looked at him in confusion. “What? Can’t blame me for finding this just a tad funny?”

I rolled my eyes, as I brushed past Thomas who was narrowing his eyes at me and Ben’s father, walking out of the room. I wanted to get as far away from this hospital as possible.

*

“Could you quit glaring at me?” I snapped at Thomas.

He huffed, giving me one last glare before looking out the window.