Chapter Thirty: Breaking News

“Here,” Ben’s father said placing a cup of coffee in front of me.

“Thank you,” I muttered grabbing the hot cup, in my shaking hands.

He just nodded his head in return, as I sipped on the coffee. None of us uttering a word, lost in our own thoughts. “You know what happened to Ben, isn’t your fault.” Ben’s father whispered.

“That’s what people say, in order to make the other person feel better,” I told him honestly. I didn’t want him lying, we all knew it was my fault that Ben jumped in front of me.

“So it is your fault that man was following you? It’s your fault that Ben wanted to go outside and get some ice cream?” He asked incredulously. I stayed silent, I didn’t know how to react. “Alice, it isn’t your fault.” He whispered softly.

“So it’s Ben’s fault?” I asked in disbelief. “He’s your son,” I whispered. “How could you say that?” I searched his eyes for some sort of answer, he soon broke eye contact getting up from his chair. 

Ben’s father took a deep breath, “I am going to get some air.” He muttered, walking down the hall.

I sighed running my hands through my hair. It’s been two days, two days of waiting for Ben to wake up, two days of waiting to know if the police had caught the bastard who did this to him.

I propped my head on my arm, I was tired and even coffee couldn’t keep me up. “Alice?” I turned my head and noticed Ben’s mom looking at me with tired eyes, her brown hair was put in a messy pony tail and like everyone else she looked exhausted.

“Yeah?” I asked sitting up, a little straighter.

“Maybe you should go back to the hotel, and get some rest.” She suggested coming towards me and extending her hand.

“But,” I said in denial, I didn’t want to leave in case Ben woke up.

“I promise if he does wake up, which he will. You will be the first one, I call.” She said honestly.

I nodded, grasping her hand in mine and getting up. “Thank you,” I whispered softly.

Ben’s mom Barbra gave me a small smile in return, I then went over to Thomas and my mom and shook them awake. “Mom, I am going to head back to the hotel.” She nodded.

My mom was here majority of the time as well, she hasn’t slept here but Thomas had for one night. Unlike my dad who dropped in basically whenever he felt like. Considering his best bodyguard’s son was in a coma, it’s nice to know he cares.

“Alice?” My mom said sitting up, “Take Thomas with you, he needs a goodnight sleep.” She said waking Thomas up, he stirred in his seat, until finally waking up looking at us with squinted eyes.

“What’s wrong?” He said looking at us, he then noticed his surroundings. “Is Ben awake yet?” He said sitting up.

I gave him a tight smile, as I felt my heart sink. I shook my head, “No, no he is not.” Thomas nodded, he looked sad, but why wouldn’t he be?

*

By the time we reached our hotel room, Thomas headed straight for his bed. None of us uttering a single word our ride back to the hotel. It’s been tense, and all I really wanted right now was a good sleep. However, I also wanted to be the first person to see Ben when he woke up, if he woke up.

I walked over to the television and turning it on, I then reduced the volume so I wouldn’t wake Thomas up. I was about to change the channel, but when I noticed my dad on television. My eyes widened, “What the heck?” I muttered, turning the volume higher.