Chapter Nine: The Talent Show

Chapter Nine:  The Talent Show

How could you?

We expected more from you Alice.

My father's words echoed in my brain, repeating itself over and over again. After getting most of the paint out of my hair, I was called to my dad’s office after everyone had left where my parents lectured me.

“Are you okay?” Ben asked me snapping me from my thoughts. “You’re spacing out, I’ve been calling you for the last five minutes.” 

I shook my head, “I am fine.”

“Are you thinking about yesterday?” He said reading my mind.

I sighed nevertheless nodded, “My parents lectured me, they even threatened to pull me out of school if something like this happens again.”

It was quiet for a couple of minutes so I turned to Ben who hadn’t uttered a single word, his eyes trained on the road ahead. “Why aren’t you saying anything?”

I heard him sigh, “What’s there to say?”

I blinked. “What do you mean ‘what’s there to say?’ You are supposed to agree with me and tell me my parents are overreacting!” I exclaimed. 

“Agree with you?” He said in disbelief, “You ran off with Gavin, without telling me! How do you think it looked on me explaining to your parents that I have no idea where you went? You could’ve been kidnapped and I would’ve had no clue about it!” He yelled.

I flinched at his harsh tone. “I don’t have to tell you where I go every second of every minute,” I screamed back.

“Yes you do, you have a bodyguard for a reason.” 

“That’s so stupid. It’s not like I am the president no one is going to come out of the bushes and kidnap me.”

“You’re not the President but you’re his daughter and you never know who’s out there.” He said in an annoyed voice.

I grunted sinking into my seat looking out the window as we pulled into a parking space in front of the school I heard Ben sigh next to me. “I am sorry,” He said in a tired voice.

I turned looking him dead in the eyes. “Apology not accepted,” With that I quickly opened the car door slamming it shut, storming into the school. 

I was fuming how dare he take my parents side? I am seventeen for the love of God; they’re treating me like a five year old.

‘Well, you haven’t been the best daughter…’ A voice in my head said.

“Oh shut up,” I muttered.

My eyes scanned the hallway landing on Holly who was leaning against my locker an angry look evident on her face. I slowly approached her, her hazel eyes snapped to mine. “Hey Holls, what sup?”  I said turning the dial of my locker opening it.

“What sup? Is that all you can say after you’ve been ignoring my calls and texts?” She shrieked getting the attention of some students.

“Holly calm down.” I said trying to calm her, “What’s the matter? You seem angry.”

She snorted, “Of course I am angry, I can’t believe you Ali. After all the warnings I gave you.”

I knitted my eyebrows in confusion. “What are you talking about?”

“Don’t act confused Ali, everyone knows you slept with Gavin.” She exclaimed gesturing at everyone watching how I will react.

“You think I slept with that manwhore?” I screeched. She narrowed her eyes at me nodding her head. “Wow I can’t believe you, I thought we were best friends.”