Chapter Twenty-Nine: Roaming the Streets of Brussels

“Alice, I am very disappointed in you.” My dad said in a stern voice. I wanted to role my eyes, but I knew if I did I would get hell for doing so. “I thought we made it very clear that you weren’t supposed to leave this room?”

I opened my mouth to speak, “Dad I am sorry, okay?”

He looked at me with a stern expression, “Sometimes sorry isn’t enough.”

I let out a sigh, “What do you want me to say?” I was dripping wet. Once Ben pulled me out of the pool, I wanted to change but my dad didn’t allow me instead he brought me and Ben into his room and began lecturing us.

“Alice, you’re going off to College next year. When will you learn to grow up and stop making these childish mistakes?” My dad asked.

My eyes widened, I would never in a million years think that my dad would say that to me. “I am sorry dad, when I decide to ‘grow up’ I will give you a call, okay?” I said standing up from my chair and wrapping the towel around my body a little tighter. I then went over to the door, “Oh and dad, I am also sorry for being such a disappointment.”

I looked over to Ben, my mom and Ben’s parents who were all staring at me with their eyes widened. They must’ve never thought I would speak to my dad like that, I wouldn’t have. If he hadn’t said what he said. I slammed the door, and began to walk back to my room.

I walked back to my room knocking on the door, knowing that I left my room key in the room. And anyways I knew Thomas was in there, doing what? God knows.

A few seconds later Thomas answered the door, he had already changed and was in a pair of trousers and button up shirt. “Why are you so dressed up?” I asked him walking around him and heading straight to my closet.

“Mom, told me to get dressed she said that the Prime Minister invited us to dinner with his family.” He said following me as I began to rummage through my suitcase.

“Well you can count me out, I am going into the shower than to bed. Trying to erase this whole day out of my mind,” I said grabbing a pair of sweatpants and old t-shirt.

Thomas didn’t reply instead he went back to where he was previously, watching television. I shrugged walking into the bathroom and locking it, I really didn’t feel like having any surprises.

*

“Yeah because you are a lying scum!” I said throwing the popcorn at the television. I sighed, “Look at me. I am a seventeen year old girl, no social life and throwing popcorn at the television, as if they could magically hear me. I am pathetic,” I said to myself groaning. “Oh and I am talking to myself too.”

I sighed, I had nothing to do. Thomas and everyone left when I was in the shower. My mom left me a note, basically saying that if I leave this room, I will be in some deep shit. And sometimes, there is a boundary you don’t cross with your mom, this was one of those times.

I was interrupted from my thoughts when I heard my phone ringing, I looked around for it trying to find where the ringing was coming from. I lifted up my blanket to find my phone, “Gavin? What the heck is he doing calling me at midnight?” It wasn’t necessarily midnight here but it was midnight back in Washington. “Hello?” I said answering the phone a little hesitant.

“Ali?” I heard Gavin say.

“Gavin?” It was really him, why the heck was he calling me at this hour, unless he was. “Are you drunk?”

“Drunk?” He asked, shocked I even used those words to begin with. “No, why would you think that?”

“Well that’s the only explanation I could think of, explaining to why you are calling me at midnight.” I told him grabbing the remote that was placed beside me and putting the television on mute. “So why are you calling me?”