Chapter Twenty-Two: Meet the Parents

I looked at Holly in disbelief. Was it that obvious? Because I didn’t really realize that Ben wasn’t sitting with us until she told me a few seconds ago.

“Well?” Holly asked, impatiently. “Are you going to answer the question or not?”

“Holly, I doubt Ben likes me.” I told her, lying. “We are just friends that’s all.”

Holly looked at me suspiciously, “Are you sure?”

I nodded my head, taking a sip of my water. “A hundred percent sure.”

“Okay,” Holly said dropping the subject.

“And, if Ben even did like Ali, don’t you think she would have told us, Holly?” Sarah said speaking up for the first time. “She wouldn’t want you to get hurt.”

“Alright,” Holly said a little more convincing this time. “I believe you, Ali.”

I gave her a small smile, I hated lying to Holly. Because one way or another she would figure the truth out, and when she does, all I know is that hell is going to break loose.

*

“I am home!” I yelled, tossing my bag to one of the guards who caught it with ease. “Can, you take it upstairs?” I asked, the guard who was holding my bag. He nodded his head, making his way towards the staircase.

“No yelling in the house, Alice.” My dad said walking past me and to God knows where.

“Sorry daddy,” I said faking a smile and following him. “So what are you doing?”

“I am not lifting your grounding.” My dad said in a serious tone.

“What?” I said faking a shock, “I would have never asked you, that. Is it wrong of me to ask my favorite dad about his day?”

My dad narrowed his eyes at me, “Favorite dad? Alice, I am your only dad.” He said walking towards his office where to guards were patiently waiting outside the doors.

“You know what I mean,” I grumbled crossing my arms over my chest and entering his office behind him.

“What do you want, Alice?” He questioned taking a seat at his desk.

I walked over to his desk plopping down on the seat in front of it. “Nothing.”

“Well then can you please go, I have some work I need to do.” My dad said looking down at a file he had opened up.

“Fine, can you lift my grounding?” I asked, getting right to the point.

“No.”

“Why not?” I whined, childishly.

“Are you really going to ask me that, Alice?” My dad asked in disbelief, “You snuck, out.”

“I did not sneak out, I simply went somewhere without permission.”

“You snuck out. End of discussion.” My dad said, his eyes trained at the papers he was reading.

I rolled my eyes, “Fine I will go speak to the boss of the house.”

“You are speaking to him,” My dad spoke.

“I was talking about mom.”

“She’s out of the country, she’s in France working on her clothing line.” My dad said slipping on his reading glasses.

I scratched my head, “She is?” I asked, trying to remember my mom telling me that she was leaving.

I heard my dad let out a sigh, “Roy?” I heard him say. I turned to look at him, and saw him on the phone. “Can you please come in here?” A few seconds later my dad shut the phone off.