Chapter Thirty-Nine: Together and Forever

It has been three weeks since I last spoke to Gavin.

Three freaking weeks, at first I am pretty sure he thought I was just keeping my distance. You know after our whole argument, but by the second week he started to get suspicious. Whenever he tried to talk to me, I would be like Lightening McQueen and bolt the other way.

He was attached to the hip with Ashley, and wherever he went so did she. Yes, I know that I could do whatever the heck I want and not let Ashley torment me like this, but I don’t want to run to my dad when things get tough. Plus, if he ever found out that someone knows my secret, pray for me because I am pretty sure I would be on the next plane out to Honolulu.

I turned the corner to head to Chemistry class. I would have been there sooner, but Mrs. Moore wanted to talk to me about the whole catastrophe that was our dance. I didn’t understand why she wanted to talk to me alone, not Gavin and Sarah but I didn’t question it.

“I d-don’t know why she’s acting weird…” I heard, a familiar voice say.

I peeked my head from behind the locker, I was hiding behind to see Sarah at her locker, but what shocked me was who was standing next to her.

“That is why, I need you to find out for me.” Gavin explained.

“Why can’t you just ask her yourself?” Sarah asked, slamming the locker door shut.

“Have you not been listening? The girl avoids me!” Gavin exclaimed, exasperated.

“Why do you even care?” Sarah asked, softly. “Do you like her?” She asked, raising her eyebrows.

Gavin looked at her, appalled. “Me? L-like Ali?” He let out a snort, “There is no way in hell I would ever like that nerd.”

I felt my heart drop, he didn’t like me. I breathed in deeply, ignoring my heart shattering to millions of pieces. Turning around I accidentally hit one of the lockers, behind me. “Did you hear that?” I heard Gavin ask Sarah.

“Shit,” I muttered, trying to stay frozen hopefully they wouldn’t hear anything.

“Yeah, it came from behind the lockers.”

I rolled my eyes, holding my breath. “Way to state the obvious, Sherlock.” I muttered, under my breath.

I heard the sounds of their feet hitting the floor as they walked closer towards the lockers I was hiding behind. I closed my eyes tightly, praying that they wouldn’t see me.

“Ali?” I heard Sarah, in a shocked tone.

“H-hey guys,” I muttered, opening my eyes and giving them a wave.

“Were you eavesdropping?” She asked, incredulously.

I shook my head, “O-of course no, I was admiring the lockers.” I blurted out, but Gavin just looked at me a smirk playing at the corners of his lips. “Yup, admiring these rusty grey lockers. I was thinking of painting my room the same color.” I blabbered.

“Really?” Sarah asked, her eyebrows raised.

I nodded my head, “Yup. Now if you would excuse me, we both are late to chemistry.” I said, grabbing the Sarah’s sleeve and pulling her with me.

“Ali?” Sarah called out, stopping me from moving. I looked at her curious to why she stopped. “Gavin is in that class too.”

My eyes widened, “Oh.” I muttered, not realizing my blonde moment or what Thomas liked to call ‘Alice moments.’