Chapter Seven: We Have a Deal

Ben's P.O.V.

I stared at Alice for the longest amount of time. I was lost for words; I honestly did not know how to answer her question.

"Ben?" She whispered, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Your question," I said fumbled my words.

I shifted my bag on my shoulder, my eyes refusing to meet hers. "If this is making you uncomfortable, then you don't have to answer it. Forget I even said anything." She murmured looking down at her shoes.

"No. No." I blurted out a little too quickly. "Um, no it's doesn't make me feel uncomfortable."

Alice nodded her head a slowly a confused expression evident on her facial expression. "So," She said shifting her balancing form one foot to another.

"So," I repeated.

'What the heck man? You're making this awkward as it already is answer, the damn question!' A voice said.

'What am I supposed to tell her?' I answered.

'The truth?' The voice said in a duh tone.

I was too busy consumed in my thoughts I did not realize Alice had already gone inside. 'Nice going Ben you just let her go like that.'

I sighed making a mental note to catch Alice after class and explain to her. Once I walked inside of class, everyone's heads turned to me. "You're late Mr. James," Mr. Jennings said in a strict voice.

I muttered a quick apology taking a seat next to this random girl. My eyes scanned the classroom looking for Alice who was seated in the front of the class, I tried to get her attention by whispering her name I even went as far as to throw pieces of eraser bits, and yet she refused to meet acknowledge me.

"I definitely screwed up," I said to myself.

"Pardon?" The girl sitting next to me asked.

"Did I say that aloud?" I asked her.

She nodded her head slowly. "Yes. Yes you did," My eyes trailed over to Alice, who was working on the class work that Mr. Kelly assigned to us.

I couldn't like Alice could I?

"You know you space out a lot." The girl said.

I turned my head to her. "No I don't," I said even though I knew it was true.

She then looked over to Alice; the girls whose name I did not know of looked back at me. "And you're confused," She told me honestly.

"I beg your pardon?" I asked puzzled.

"By the way you're looking at that girl over there." She said nodding her head over to Alice's direction. "Means that you're conflicted, she may have asked you a personal question, or you have to make a big choice and your emotions are all over the place."

"How did you know that?" I asked, a little scared to know the answer.

She smiled showing of her braces. "The name’s X," She said sticking her hand out for me to shake.

I cautiously shook her hand. "Your name is X?" I asked in disbelief.

She nodded. "Its short for Xenia, but no one has to know." She leaned over whispering to me.

I gave her a small smile. "The names-"

She waved her hand stopping me. "I know your name, it's Ben James. I know everything about everybody."